By sadSarah - 01/05/2014 09:59 - United States - New York

Today, as I was waiting in line to give my mom her birthday present, my dad gave her the exact same gift I'd also bought for her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 286
You deserved it 4 791

Same thing different taste

Top comments

rachelottavia 16

Hopefully she appreciates the thought behind the gift! :)

If it's something that can run out, then it's fine. If it's something that is static, then it becomes slightly redundant. So yes it does matter

Comments

conman531 23

It's the thought that counts :) next time talk to your dad and ask him what he got her. Trust me, I have been in the same situation

Karenezzy 20

You guys should've communicated before about the gifts for your mom. It always helps!

nitrog100 21

No worries OP; That sort of thing happens in my family all the time. Sometimes we catch it before the fact, and sometimes we don't.

unless your plan was to "get her the better present" I really don't think you should be bothered. All moms really care about is thought, not the gift itself.

You and your dad don't talk much do you? Like hey dad what did you get mom for her birthday? Seems like a common question to ask.

In my family, we never talk about the gifts before to keep the surprise (unless we buy them together).

I never ask what someone else got for someone unless it effects me. why would a gift they bought for someone else effect me unless we got it together?

If they got the same gift and you went second like OP, making you look like a copycat it would affect you.

You wait in a line to give your family member a gift?...

OP probably just means that she's waiting for her turn to give it. You don't expect her mother to open several gifts at once.

I have said it before. Great minds think alike.

rdenkewicz 11

She has an entire line dedicated to giving her birthday presents! I don't think she has the right to complain about a good gift that came in duplicate.