By spekledworf - 05/08/2014 23:46 - United States - Plymouth

Today, as I wandered through the streets of an unfamiliar city, I spotted a cop and darted across the street to ask for assistance. He kindly gave me directions as he wrote me out a citation for jaywalking. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 137
You deserved it 10 139

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

Gotta say OP, that is really really stupid of you. Even though it is a minor offence, it is still against the law. Don't commit crimes (no matter how small) directly in front of a police officer because that is asking for it. Would you litter in front of a cop too??

I agree that you shouldn't commit crimes but j-walking should not be considered a crime unless it is a major road (freeway/highway) and it is unsafe to do so. Most mentally competent individuals can cross a road without being a hazard to themselves or traffic...

Also jaywalking isn't a crime everywhere. I'm from Scotland and people jaywalk all the time.

Yeah, from London and I probably jaywalk more than I don't jaywalk...particularly where I live, it's like lights don't really exist. I was actually really surprised and annoyed when I first found out it was a crime in other countries! I could see myself getting arrested on holiday just because it's not something I think about. If there aren't any cars or they're far away/slow moving it's safe to cross dammit!

I don't believe jaywalking is a jailable offense. Would make for some pretty interesting jail conversations though. "What are you in for?" "Murdering my wife. You?" "Jaywalking " "..."

Where I live, the cops won't ticket you for jaywalking by itself. The ticket paper costs more than the actual fine lol

They really need to ticket jaywalkers more in Atlanta. There are so many pedestrian deaths every year. In a big city with lots of traffic it makes sense to have jaywalking laws.

Really part of the reason jaywalking is illegal in the US is that on top of people in general being morons and not paying attention to where they're walking, Americans are some of the worst drivers because there's virtually no such thing as Driver's Ed. You really don't want to cross the road in a place where people don't know how to drive.

Actually, it's not a crime everywhere. As OP was in from out if town, he might not have known he was breaking the law. The cop could have let him off with a warning.

raspution 21

Depends on where you live in CA I belive its 550 and littering is 10000.

spekledworf 18

In my town there aren't many crosswalks and theres one intersection I can think of that has pedestrian lights, so you can't get anywhere without jaywalking. Also, it's a $1 fine, incase anyone was wondering

ide throw a donut at one and run around in circles ss he chased me, watch him puff out, laugh then walk away

Hey my dad is a cop and I bet that he would be one of the nicest guys you ever met (instead of being a dick like most of think cops are). However, he does have to do his job and right people up for disobeying the laws (and jaywalking is a nationwide misdemeanor and you would be written up no matter where you were at).

actually in new jersey I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for jaywalking. people do it all the time in front of cops.

My dad is a cop as well, and it pissed me off how people automatically thing they are all retarded dicks

martin998877 12

What nation? Not everyone lives in the same country. I'm in the uk and we can cross wherever we want.

OP and the commentor are both from the US, so when nationwide is stated, it should be assumed that the nation being spoken about is the US.

Jaywalking is not a misdemeanor, its a civil infraction. Also it's not a US national law, its a local municipal law. Many towns and cities do not have a jaywalking infraction in the civil code.

91hayek 31

With entire cities going bankrupt there is an incentive for local authorities to make as much money as possible especially if they are in the red. Parking tickets, citations - if it can make money, they'll be on it as their jobs and towns depend on it. FYL OP especially since they prey on strangers who don't know the rules or are too out of their comfort zones to fight it.

Well j-walking is a pretty universal law. That is an obvious one. But ignorance is no excuse to a crime, no matter how small.

izntdan 14

Dude cities get very little money from tickets most of it goes to the state

At least you got directions, stick to the cross walks next time.

FroggerForReal 11

he's just doing his job I guess but then again he could've let it slide maybe that one time. This one hard to call. sorry OP.

I'm surprised he didn't shoot you instead!

In the UK we teach our kids to cross the road safely. Jaywalking isn't a thing. It's ridiculous that it is illegal in the US.

But he could walk down a 5 lane interstate doing cartwheels and he wouldn't even get looked at funny!