By spekledworf - 05/08/2014 23:46 - United States - Plymouth

Today, as I wandered through the streets of an unfamiliar city, I spotted a cop and darted across the street to ask for assistance. He kindly gave me directions as he wrote me out a citation for jaywalking. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 137
You deserved it 10 138

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

equitationbound 22

I know, right? I hate when cops give me tickets for doing illegal things directly in front of them. It is so unfair.

The cop could have been a little lenient in this case but at the same time op broke the law and they were just doing their job.

I'm not sure if this is true, but my mom once told me that there are some minor infractions (like jaywalking) that cops are not required to cite you for. I'm now curious as to if this is true or not.

There is a big tourist town near my house where people jaywalk all the time. They will just walk right in front of your car and you have to stop. Either the cops don't care or there are just too many people doing it.

Schizomaniac 24

Probably more understandable in places where pedestrian deaths are really high. Where I live (Vegas), I think it's appropriate to try to discourage jaywalking because of the insane number of car-related fatalities we have here.

I'm guessing this was probably the reason, too. Usually cops don't give out tickets for minor stuff like that just to be dicks, unless they're trying to curb a behavior because it's become such a problem that people's lives have become endangered (or lost) and they're getting heat from the higher ups. Jaywalking is something everyone does, but if it's in an area with a blind spot and people are being killed, it would make sense.

BananaMan844 4

Hell, I wouldn't stop. Pedestrians only get the right of way at crosswalks.

Well OP did do something against the law. And a cops job is to in force the laws.

Most cops I've met have been pretty damn reasonable, and will use judgement where they can, not automatically ticket for minor violations. And they have to put up with a lot of abuse from a lot of idiots.

Depends on if if the cop is trying to fill his ticket quota for the month. They gotta earn their keep for their municipality.

If it's in an area that has a lot of pedestrian deaths it makes more sense for a cop to do this to discourage jaywalking.

23lf 16

Cops must have a schedule to switch between being a dick, and saving lives

No... They are always dicks. There are less decent cops and more jackass cops as the years go on.

10 - Correction: There are more stories of jackass cops and less stories of decent cops because bad news sells better than good news.

He was saving lives. There are 86 pedestrian deaths in Mass each year, 172 in NYC.

All people have to do is open their eyes and have ok judgment before crossing the street. Opening of the eyes might be a crucial step. It's not the jaywalking that kills them, it's natural selection.

why do people think that others making dumb decisions causing their death is natural selection? Cause it's not

aruam365 24

10: I'm an EMT, I work with police officers very frequently and most are very kind people, and so are the police officers that I've encountered when I'm not in uniform, who have no idea I'm an EMS provider. You've read news stories and maybe had bad experiences, that doesn't define all police officers. You don't hear about the wonderful things they do, so don't speak poorly about the men and women who may save your life someday.

#75 - Very well said! My boyfriend is a police officer and he is one of the kindest and fairest officers I have ever met! He's used his own money on duty to buy a girl gas for her empty tank so she could get home and she didn't even say thank you. It's disgusting how people treat police just because they've heard stories or did something illegal and got mad because they were caught for it.

Umm that is almost the exact definition of natural selection. Natural selection is a process by which weaker traits are weeded out of the gene pool. I'd call stupidity a pretty weak trait...

Very true. All the down votes are dick cops

jazmin3012 28

wow Office friendly is rare nowadays...

I know right? Everyone hates offices nowadays

jazmin3012 28

haha my bad! I meant to type officer friendly but my phone seemed to have thought otherwise

you know what they say about jay walking

First it's jaywalking then you are on the corner selling your body for money

I_Am_Melanie 15

Don't try jaywalking. Not even once.

Are city police so bored that they actually write you out for that? Also you kinda deserve it for not paying attention to the road, you could've been squashed or some shit.

Ummmm that's the reason the cop gave OP a ticket, not because they're bored...

kinda contradictory isn't it? Are police that bored that they're writing you up for something that could get you killed

Cops need to meet their quota and the city needs money to umm raise people pension...

what the hell does one have to do with the other?

Cops don't have quotas. That's a myth people made up to explain why they got caught.

well, cops and highway patrol here admit to having a quota