By Jonny - 09/01/2012 04:07 - United States

Today, as a recovering alcoholic, I called my brother to share the news that I've been sober for a month. He invited me to a bar to celebrate. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 423
You deserved it 3 368

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Seems like you shouldn't be calling him for a while! Sorry OP, keep up the good work though!

I don't understand why people vote for "you deserve it" on posts like these. Great job OP ;)

Comments

That's something I'd say... My kind of sense of humor

To be fair, bars ARE very good places to celebrate things. I'm a teetotaller and even I think so.

Ninetales247 2

It's only an FML if OP actually accepted the invite.

So order a Coke. Have some juice. Or even water. It's not like every drink available in a bar contains alcohol. And the most important part about quitting anything is being able to say "no" in the face of temptation. Quitting by avoiding all contact isn't how it works.

Before you can say "no" in the face of temptation, you need to be able to say "no" when your body and brain is telling you "Oh god we really need a drink right now!" and have your body/brain stop sending you those demands in the first place. If you get both "Oh god we really need a drink right now" and "Look at this beautiful display of hard liquor and beer on tap!" it's nearly impossible to resist. I'm going to say that the OP is not yet completely past the stage where his brain and body are telling him he needs to drink, based on that this was an FML to him. If he doesn't think he can resist drinking if he were to go to a bar, it's better for him to AVOID the temptation rather than go there, end up failing, drinking, and being all the way back to square one.

perdix 29

Don't brag to your brother about the milestones you hit in conquering your sex addiction. Just a suggestion.

screwhim622 0

My mother is an NA and she has to say 'no' even to her doctor when he recommends meds for her legs which was shattered in a car accident. Just say no that simple if my mom can do it so can you! :)

So you enjoy drinking, have a drink once in awhile. If you spend your life avoiding something you like then that thing still controls your life. AA is useless anyway