By mrtut - 29/10/2010 12:17 - United Kingdom

Today, as a physics teacher, I was testing a class to see how high a sound frequency they could hear. One girl claimed she could hear the sound even though it was physically impossible. Without thinking, I replied "Only dogs can hear this frequency." Needless to say, she was picked on all day. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 699
You deserved it 13 119

Same thing different taste

Top comments

She was probably lying and trying to sound superior if she claimed she could hear frequencies that are in dog-range, so I guess she got what was coming to her.

Actually what he said was not wrong. If she is claiming to hear it, then she deserves to be picked on, especially when it is impossible for her to have heard it. The classmates were wrong, but the OP wasn't

Comments

Some people actually can hear very high sounds. Others can feel them, kinda like how very low frequency sounds can be felt. Hell, some people can even feel some electromagnetic waves from far away, like being able to tell if a television is on from far away by "feeling" it. Your damn book is only a guideline for how the average person acts, not all people. Science isn't absolute and perfectly predicting of the effects it will have. Shit, even the laws of Newtonian physics, the most stable theory in all of science, completely break down at a quantum level. Anyway I'll stop rambling now.

I can feel TVs and lights being on and, if in someway the student is able to hear sounds that only dogs should be able to hear, I feel very bad for her. I can't even go into a large gymnasium without getting annoyed by the lights.

supernice 0

but it is much more likely that she can't hear it and that she was trying so hard to hear it that she thought she was. science my not be 100% but it is safer to assume she is one of the 99.99999999999999999% of people who can't hear it.

Placebo effect, just saying. She prolly saw the whistle and expected to hear something, due the placebo effect, her brain responded to what she was seeing (a man blowing a whistle) and thus you "hear" something. It is actually only your brain tricking you, she wasn't hearing anything. And even if the whole class had to close their eyes, the girl prolly cheated and slightly opened them, deserving to getting bullied. And bout the electromagnetic waves, Everyone can, it is called using your eyes and seeing, your skin tanning. Yes, visible and invisible light are actually waves.

Toxxic_Blackout 0

you do realize that by using only two nines after the decimal point, it would have been the same number and you would have saved some time.

I believe, or at least hope, that we are all aware that light is indeed part of the electromagnetic spectrum. I don't think that's what this poster had in mind when saying that they can "feel" certain electronic equipment turned on close to them. I don't find the effect nearly as often with plasma screens or LCD screens, but the older tube screen T.V.s would often cause me to hear this weird vibration / sound. Almost like humming, but extremely high pitched and barely audible almost to the point that you start to question your own sanity when nobody else can hear it. VCRs were exceptionally terrible. Some people can hear above the normal range. Keep in mind that the "normal" range is a statistical average, and there will always be outliers.

#12: You're wrong about Newtonian physics being the "most stable theory". It was useful for about 200 years, but it was replaced about 100 years ago by Einstein's general relativity. #80: You're wrong also. When the above post referred to 99.99999999999999999% of people with normal hearing, we assume he was talking about the roughly 7 billion people on this planet. Obviously he used far too many "nines", because the remaining tiny fraction of one percent would equate to approximately one-billionth of one person. Which is ridiculous. He would have achieved the same idea by claiming 100% of people had normal hearing. But if he had used 99.99%... this would have meant that 0.01% of people had abnormal hearing. This percentage is actually a significant number of people, one in ten thousand, or about 7 million people worldwide. Yes, I'm a number nazi.

Correction: make that 700,000 people, not 7 million.

Arsonnist 3

You should use a dog whistle and see what happens. Test your theory.

flickyourbic1223 7

wow, she probably couldn't hear it anyway. kudos for calling her out on it.

you should play the frequency she could supposedly hear again but without anyone else knowing to see if she was telling the truth or not.

I too can hear high frequencies that science says I shouldn't be able to. Leave the sweet girl alone and don't torture your students anymore. Hearing those frequencies makes us super humans want to jump out of our skin.

your not super human real super humans won't post it on ml ur just a prick that thinks there better than everyone else learn to play an instrument or something then brag and get beat in that order