By thanksforthat - 10/08/2009 19:05 - United States

Today, after selling their car, my parents decided to inform me that my car (that I paid for myself) is now going to be the "Family Car". They also informed me that since it is, after all, my car, I'll still have to pay for the gas and maintenance. FML
I agree, your life sucks 89 876
You deserved it 4 730

Same thing different taste

Top comments

acd23 0

If my parents did that to me I'd tell them they can either start contributing to gas and maintenance or they can start finding other ways to travel, like a bus, or a bike. They may be your parents but if you paid for that car with your own money, you should still have a say on who can and can't use it, and you shouldn't have to foot the car bills yourself if you aren't the only one using it.

theflamezbegin 0

Damn parents. You at least say SOMETHING... but sorry to say it probably won't work...

Comments

They kind of CHOSE to give them life, its not like the girl's unborn body forced itself upon them... lol And um...making the guy do all the work in a relationship is a little outdated, I mean, both sides should be contributing to a relationship, its not like if a girl is dating the guy has to do everything for her, that's basically her selling herself to the person for their time and resources. Raise your kids however you like, just don't expect them to take all your shit just 'cus you feel like treating them like a slave all their lives. I'm perfectly obedient with my parents and do anything they ask (within reason), and in return they don't hassle me and up until I got a job, gave me money so I could enjoy myself. Bitch.

That is absolutely absurd. I would have kindly declined, and made sure they knew why.

Liamrb 0

I feel sorry for you man. I'm getting mad just reading this.

just say no. it's that easy. you paid. it's in your name. what are they going to do? hotwire it? no. just keep the keys with you and when they bitch about not being able to get around just tell them it's their fault for selling their car and expecting you to be their bitch. truely simple. only question is, are you able to really stand your ground on this?

Nope, you don't have to share. I think we all learned in 1st grade that people that don't share are Jerks. I'm wondering why their parents are doing this though, maybe one of them lost their jobs and it's time to band together and help each other out. I am betting the latter is true. There has to be a good reason, parents really just don't do stuff like this without cause. Therefore, if my kid wouldn't share, then I wouldn't share with him/her. I would do things like pull their bedroom door off, cancel anything I had ever co-signed with them on, remove their phone service if they were on my plan, only buy them clothes at Wal-mart, not let them use my Internet connection, not sign any permission slips for any after school activities, not pay any part of that vehicle including the insurance (he's probably on their plan, even if he is paying his portion), make sure all local curfew laws are enforced by the calling the cops if he is 1 second late, oh my,, and all that just off the top of my head. What else would I do to try to fix the child that I obviously failed raising, once I realized that they were such a selfish jerk, after I had a few days to think about it. In other words, be thankful for what your parents have and are doing for you, lest you get OWNED. Because in all reality, if you are living with them, you are.

alex_vik 0
ohhsnapp 0

ouch. tell them ur not gonna share it unless they pay for the gas they use and such.

Nyrial 0

Easy. First time they use it, call and report it stolen. That's what my parents would have done to me if I used their car without their permission. I was allowed to use their vehicles, but I was also expected to replace the gas I used at least. Take it with a half tank, return it with a half tank, it's that simple. I can understand if they asked to use it in the interim while looking for a new car, but just assuming that yours is now family transport is disrespectful to you. I would never do that to my kids once they're old enough. As for if you're living with them.. I don't know how old you are, but when you have kids, you don't expect something in return for their food/education/expenses. I could understand if they're still living rent free at home and not in school when they're 19 or older, but if they're in school, working (which obviously this person is, if they paid for and pay maintenance on a car), and/or under the age of 18, you just have the common decency to help them out/provide them with a place to live. Being a parent is a thankless job that you do out of love. You don't mooch off of your kid or expect to be "paid back" for what you've invested in them. Parents shouldn't expect some return off their child(ren).