By Anonymous - 24/10/2014 20:52 - Ireland - Dublin

Today, after my first day at work at a local daycare, I found out that I'm not entitled to breaks because I'm the only worker there who doesn't smoke. My boss asked me, ''What do you need a break for?'' FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 972
You deserved it 2 981

Same thing different taste

Top comments

iAmPaul 49

Report him. You're just as entitled to a break as everyone else.

Comments

Kinda reminds me of that "Friends" episode when Rachel took up smoking because her colleagues I kept making decisions without her on their smoke breaks. Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting you start smoking.

Move to another daycare. I'm surprised they're allowed to smoke and then work with kids. I'd never put my kids into a daycare where all the staff smoked.

That is the most ignorant and stupid thing I have seen today.

JinxedBaby 5

I work at a restaurant in my town. They told me the same thing. That sucks.

202 people so far missed the 'your life sucks' button. oops!

Contrary to what many employees may believe, there are no federal laws that require employers to grant workers breaks for eating meals or any other purpose during specific intervals, according to the Employee Issues website. Additionally, fewer than half of states have laws requiring employers to give workers time to eat their meals, and even fewer have laws requiring employers to give workers periodic breaks of any kind. Those state laws can be found linked to the U.S. Department of Labor website (see Resources).

rocker_chick23 27

The OP is from Ireland, not the US. The laws might be different over there.

@ 59 I would argue that there are laws that state breaks etc. We then need to consider that I'm not in the US like yourself or Ireland like the OP. Sounds like it sux to live in the US when you can't even get a meal break during a work day.

jthmtwin 16

The place I last worked at required you to take an unpaid 30 minute break. However we never had enough staff or time to squeeze out for a smoke break (I stepped out for a 'fresh air' break)

Ummm.... Break laws are a thing... Why don't you call them out

It's okay. In the end you still are healthier and will probably live longer

Isn't it illegal to refuse employees a break? You work eight hours and get two fifteen minute breaks by law.

rocker_chick23 27

I looked it up. OP is entitled to breaks while at work. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/rest_periods_and_breaks.html