By Anon - 18/09/2013 17:48 - United Kingdom

Today, my boss decided that we no longer have to clock out for cigarette breaks, but we do for toilet breaks. I'm the only non-smoker on my floor, and I'm getting penalised for it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 657
You deserved it 3 166

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

Chelsea_bella 20

Just tell him you're going to smoke a cigarette in the bathroom!

Ask your boss if in exchange for a smoking break (since you don't smoke, but everyone else does) why can't you trade in a smoke break for a pee break and not have to clock out. You probably won't take as many breaks as the smokers.. since they get a break with pay, why shouldn't you?

So go out for a smoke break with the others. There's nothing to say you actually have to smoke.

Aky0n 10

At least he didn't see you so drunk that you puked on yourself.

Rather poor way of putting it. I'm sure your boss didn't make this rule because he knew you were a non-smoker

TheDrifter 23

Perhaps there is someone in the building who tends to take hour long "bathroom breaks" and the boss is trying to punish them/get them to quit.

Is that even legal? I honestly don't know if he can do that.

perdix 29

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Nope. You're required to be allowed to be on the clock when you're in the bathroom

CallMeMcFeelii 13

It's one thing to not allow the employee restroom privileges and completely different to make sure they aren't in there wasting paid time playing Angry Birds. If the boss completely cut them from using the restroom then it would be illegal. I really don't see it as a bad thing other than OP doesn't get to take breaks like the rest.

33, some people have stomach issues where they might be stuck in the bathroom for 30 minutes at a time. It is illegal to count bathroom breaks as an unpaid break, unless the person is pretending to have stomach issues. Then that becomes fraud for stealing company time.

I agree with you completely #45. I have stomach issues for my medical and this is something that happens to me. It is understandable for people to assume fakers wanting extra time shaved off from their work and get paid for it... But those people ruin it for the rest of us that don't fake to get out of work. Its incredibly frustrating to the boss not knowing who to believe and just as frustrating for those that don't fake it.

Agreed 45. I have Crohn's disease and when I get really sick (I'm in remission now) I would go to the bathroom every hour and it was not a pleasant experience. :/

Might be difficult - I assume 95% of the air outside OPs office is smoke. :/

TheDrifter 23

Actually, if OP is in an office tower, the air in the smoking section outside is statistically likely to be cleaner and healthier than the air inside. And OP can just hit the loo on the way back from the fresh air break.

5- I'd say OP takes a bubble break. When the smokers go out with their cigarettes, OP goes out with a little bottle of bubbles and blows for ~10 minutes.

So those that smoke can use their smoking break to quickly pop to the loo as well? That sucks OP. Maybe start pretending to go out for a cigarette!

Good idea! Get one of those e cigarettes. It'll work until someone asks to bum a smoke...

Spider_Web 11

Bad! Sit in the corner and think about what you said

Yeah that's a pretty shitty situation imo

perdix 29

Have your bladder removed and get a thrid lung inserted, to you can stop peeing and start smoking. I'm sure NHS will pay for you to get such work-related surgery!

Spider_Web 11

Yeah without a bladder it'd just be a constant stream of pee, so OP could spend all day in the bathroom!

Little4Bear 10

That is totally not right, you should definitely do something about that OP. Your boss is out of their mind

You can laugh when they're all dying from their cigarettes and you're still living a healthy life, breaks or no breaks.