By Anonymous - 24/10/2014 20:52 - Ireland - Dublin

Today, after my first day at work at a local daycare, I found out that I'm not entitled to breaks because I'm the only worker there who doesn't smoke. My boss asked me, ''What do you need a break for?'' FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 972
You deserved it 2 981

Same thing different taste

Top comments

iAmPaul 49

Report him. You're just as entitled to a break as everyone else.

Comments

Is it illegal there to not have breaks for workers? If I'm not in idiot mode then I believe in some places it's illegal to not have breaks

I am about to pass out from lack of sleep, please don't give me to many hate comments because I'm fairly sure that's wrong.

you're right in the US its illegal to not give breaks to employees after a certain amount of time (forgot how long it was exactly ._.)

MegamiKaosu 28

Washington I believe if you work 4 hours you get break some even give you one if you work 3. And the breaks here range about 10-15 minutes around where I'm at.

CaroAurelia 12

I know at my (low level, student-employee at my college) job, if you work four hours or more you get a fifteen minute break and if you work eight hours or more you get a half-hour break. It's the law.

United States federal law does NOT require breaks. States laws may vary. Most breaks are just an agreement between worker and employers. As for other countries, no idea.

xxreikoxx 31

Boss: "What do you need a break for?" OP: "Mandated lunch and bladder-relief breaks, for starters." Don't actually word yourself as I put it above, but the others are right. Every hour or so, you're entitled to a break by law.

That's actually very illegal. You can report them.

This is in Ireland, things might be different there.

How is this illegal? Is this statement based on the law of Ireland?

Vinegar drops on the tips of cigarettes may be very hilarious for you. One or two drops is plenty .

break to avoid a peek from your boss..

FATALSTR1KE 9

Rather than start smoking for real I'd say: buy one of those e-cigarettes, fill it with pure water and start "smoking" that.

Don't use water only. Use 0 nicotine ejuice(propilin glycol/vegetable glycerine/flavoring).

Lmoconley 4

Check your local OSHA guidelines. You may or may not be entitled to that break. Also, you cannot be penalized for contacting OSHA and reporting your employer if said employer has violated one of the guidelines. Just make sure if you DO decide to report them. You must be correct. OSHA isn't cheap. Good luck.

RedPillSucks 31

31 - dont assume every post is from the US

I worked for a pub that was similar. I'd usually be on my own at a shift so I wouldn't actually be able to take the break I was supposed to have by law. The times I shared a shift with someone, they were always a smoker and would frequently go out for a cigarette but I wouldn't get a break. It sucks OP, by law you should have one so you can argue that. They can't fire you for requesting what you should have by law, that'd also be illegal (unfair dismissal). I would simply sit down between customers on quieter nights, that was my way of getting a break without officially being given one.