By CyberPsycho - 19/08/2016 20:57 - United States - Nashville

Today, a pharmacist slut-shamed me for taking birth control. I'm still a virgin, and I only take those pills to help with my acne and period cramps. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 875
You deserved it 1 214

CyberPsycho tells us more.

UPDATE: I called the manager and told him about my encounter. He wants me to come talk to him about it further but I'll admit that I'm still kind of embarrassed to go back to that store....

Top comments

I'd report her/him, they're a pharmacist, they're supposed to remain professional and helpful. They should not be working in that field if they are going to be a judgmental jerk. Even if you weren't a virgin, the reasons you take birth control is your own damn busniess.

Holy shit. That's super unethical. They should know the all the purposes of BC. I would totally file a complaint against the pharmacy. I would be so livid.

Comments

Yes you do have recourse. Report that person to your state Department of Public Health. They should know that birth control is not just for birth control. I have a niece who uses it for a skin condition that she was diagnosed with.

forget what that person said "different people different opinions cant change them all dont care if its narrow minded stereotypes like them" all that matters is what you think about yourself and do find out if its alright to take bc for acne without any side effects

Uh, no. You shouldn't just forget about something like this. Ignore what they say, yes, but you should report the pharmacist. They can have a different opinion, but they're on the job which means they keep their mouth shut about it.

Before corrective surgery I suffered from Menorrhagia. It's supposed to only affect women past 35 (premenopausal) but mine started as soon as I hit puberty. Basically, I was literally bleeding to death every time I had my period. Came close to needing blood transfusions. Lost 2 babies because of it and almost lost myself and my now 2 year old daughter because of it. And because I was so young, docs wouldn't even consider Menorrhagia as a possibility even though almost every woman on my mother's side suffered from it from an early age. Birth control is an early method of helping to control te regularity so that My suffering was cut to 1 1/2 weeks a month instead of 3 weeks at a time with a week break between periods. I grew up in Mississippi. The whispers and looks I got were awful. The pain and horror I was going through before I even became a full fledged teenager meant nothing. My heavy bleeding obviously meant that God was punishing me for being a *****. No one cared that I was literally on the verge of dying because the doctora thought I was too you g to need that kind of help. They only saw a 12 year old ***** taking high doses of birth control.

I am so sorry that you lived in such a closed-minded society. People and everyone else need to know that BC isn't always about intercourse or anything sexual. I hope all is well now in where you are: In a place where you have suppotive family and friends and not in a place that cruelty and shaming others in commonplace.

Report them. As a pharmacist, not only is the person to be friendly and helpful, but should know damn well that birth control is used for more than just prevention of pregnancy. I personally took it to regulate my periods.

buttcramp 21

And endometriosis is extremely common among young women. Taking one pill a day for hormone regulation/balance is a good solution!

buttcramp 21

Thats not right. Even if you're incredibly young, medical professionals always need to be supportive. If you were sexually active at least you're being smart about it!

Very unprofessional , regardless of why you are on the pill. That person should be reported !

It's actually recommended if your period cramps are very painful. And if you have certain medical conditions. Read through the comments for some accounts. Please do not try to spread that BC is bad based on being told by someone that they knew someone who had a bad experience with it.

I had the same problem when I went to the pharmacy for abortion pills. I was taking them cuz I had a "silent miscarriage", and my baby who had died four weeks prior, had yet to leave my body naturally.

I'm so sorry that happened. As if women aren't going through enough in the first place