By CyberPsycho - 19/08/2016 20:57 - United States - Nashville

Today, a pharmacist slut-shamed me for taking birth control. I'm still a virgin, and I only take those pills to help with my acne and period cramps. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 875
You deserved it 1 214

CyberPsycho tells us more.

UPDATE: I called the manager and told him about my encounter. He wants me to come talk to him about it further but I'll admit that I'm still kind of embarrassed to go back to that store....

Top comments

I'd report her/him, they're a pharmacist, they're supposed to remain professional and helpful. They should not be working in that field if they are going to be a judgmental jerk. Even if you weren't a virgin, the reasons you take birth control is your own damn busniess.

Holy shit. That's super unethical. They should know the all the purposes of BC. I would totally file a complaint against the pharmacy. I would be so livid.

Comments

pharm121 21

As someone who works in a pharmacy, it is never ok to **** shame the clients. Regardless of their purchasing birth control, condoms, or Plan B. Regardless of my beliefs, when I'm in that pharmacy EVERYONE is treated with the same respect I would want to be treated with.

UPDATE: I called the manager and told him about my encounter. He wants me to come talk to him about it further but I'll admit that I'm still kind of embarrassed to go back to that store....

Can you define how you were **** shamed?

Basically, after he saw what the medicine he got for me was, he scoffed and said, "You wouldn't need this if you knew how to keep your legs closed." Then after I walked away, he yelled "There's a church two blocks away! You should really consider going to it!" If I was able to hear it as far away as I was from him, I knew for a fact that everyone else did.

I know it's intimidating and embarrassing, but you honestly have nothing to be embarrassed about, you were unfairly and wrongly treated at a place that's supposed to remain professional, they're the ones that should be embarrassed to have such an employee. I urge you to go speak to the manager for many reasons, justice for yourself, how you were treated was unacceptable, but also for other people in the future. If this pharmacist was this unprofessional, I'm willing to bet this isn't the first time they've done it, and it won't be their last, no one should be treated or go through what you went through. This pharmacist needs to be fired because they are unfit for their position. If you're really uncomfortable with going back, I saw one poster mentioned that there's state pharmacy boards that you can report them to which are online. So more privacy and you still get to punish them for their actions.

kmarie22_613e 25

Don't be embarrassed. I'm sure anyone who heard him thought he was the shameful one! Perhaps ask to go when he isn't there. But I assure you doing this will give you relief and you'll be doing it not just for yourself but for all the other girls!

XCoraline_CrossX 17

I hope he gets fired over that. He should know what the birth control is for if he is the one that is giving it to you. That is a very rude thing to say to anyone and I hope he gets what coming to him.

You need to go talk to that manager, don't be embarrassed. You have nothing to be embarrassed about, that pharmacist is the one who should be embarrassed for the way her acted.

Ask someone to go with you if/when you do speak to him. Having moral support will help a lot.

That's disgusting. He should loose his job for that behavior. What a piece

Actually, pharmacies like CVS hire techs who don't fill prescriptions, just ring them up and stuff, and they only need a high school degree for that. He was probably one of those, because I can't imagine anyone with an actual education making such ignorant comment. I know you might be embarrassed having to talk about it with the manager, but please know that any reasonable person will see that he was way out of line.

Completely unprofessional. Speak to the manager. As most businesses have audio and video tape, ask to see it. Tell them you have spoken to a lawyer ( whether you have or not ), and that your attorney will be in touch. Then report them to the state's Board of Pharmacy. The complaint will be investigated, and the asshat will have to answer for it.

The pharmacist needs to be reported for her m/his unprofessional behaviour. There's nothing you should be embarrassed about (even if you were sexually active) . Please think about all the other girls who will not be ****-shamed because of you. Well done girl :)))

accioglasses 9

You can report that to the police. That's a HIPAA violation.

I would tell the manager you would only go speak with him if the pharmacist wasn't there at the time. How embarrassing!

You should go (I know it's gonna feel a bit awkward and you'll probably still feel embarrassed- buuuttttttt) you should o that the guy who was rude to you like that can't do it to other people. Good luck, be strong willed. You'll be fine :) plus it might up your confidence in terms of sticking up for yourself.

You can do it. Think of all the other women he's said it to. Tell the manager, don't be afraid. Just tell him word for word and stay serious. Even if the guy was there I'd still do it 100%. It's his job on the line and he deserves it,

Yeah, because I'm sure the only time he's ever had sex was when he planned on having children himself. I'm so sick of people who use the "keep your legs closed" argument. If there was ever a time that you didn't want children and still had sex regardless, then you are automatically a hypocrite if you try to throw that crap on people. What you do with yourself is your own business. As a healthcare professional, he should have known better. If he thinks he has the right to shame you into doing what he wants you to do with your life, then he can quit his job and see how far being an unemployed, self-righteous prick gets him.

lee47_fml 6

Go back to the Dr and tell him the comments made by all staff. One thing Dr's hate is PEOPLE NOT FOLLOWING ORDERS... and that prescription is an order from the Dr. to a pharmacy. The Dr. is perfectly capable of educating said pharmacy director HIS ORDERS WILL BE FOLLOWED. The average time to become a Dr. is 7 years for General Practice, and 12 years for OBGYN. In that time they learn to handle a lot of difficult situations besides illness. Go for it

There are not enough male reactions on this discussion for my taste. So I usually keep quiet but I wanted to say... You don't have any reason at all to feel embarassed. You didn't do anything wrong and he is the one who should be ashamed. First he doesn't have the right to judge you. Second it's highly unprofessionnal of him to do so. Third, even if you needed this pill for birth control you should be proud to be responsable and aware of the need to take it. Better be safe than sorry and don't ever let a judgemental frustrated bigot tell you otherwise. Keep your virginity as long as you want but go get the pill too when you'll think of making love. Don't ever let anybody tell you it's wrong to find pleasure in that or even happiness.

Heck, even if you DO talk to the manager, that person needs to be reported to the pharmacy boards.

This actually makes me furious, please report him to the local office for the department of health and human services. This is an egregious HIPAA violation, things like this prevent people from trusting their health to others. Such a lack of professionalism is repulsive.

There's a pharmacist near where I went to University that didn't stock the morning after pill, condoms; but did have the contraceptive pill However, included little notes in the boxes asking that if the person needing those pills were using them for contraceptive use, to please buy them elsewhere in the future The family who owns the pharmacy also pickets the local fertility (or as they see it, abortion) clinic They had their franchise taken off them and had to change the name of the store to continue operating While I legitimately don't care what religion people follow, but it needs to stay the hell out of medical services. Also did I mention it was right near the University?? ??

How do people whjo act like that exist?? That is so SO SOOO unbelievably wrong. Please report OP - I bet he's done it to others who will be very glad someone stood up to him. There might even be people missing medication for fear of coming in and being embarassed by this person.

Adding my voice to those urging you to talk to the manager. What this slimeball did was so wrong on so many levels. If you don't want to do it for yourself, do it for the next girl he shames for no reason. Not only is he blasting medical information out, not only is he assuming things about medicine that is wrong, but he is also acting like a girl having sex is sinful and he needs to correct you with some churchin'. Please, please talk to a manager. If you need a peptalk or someone to vent to afterwards, message me. Please.

Heck, I'd go meet with the manager, call corporate, the pharmacy board, you name it. If he did it to you, there's no telling how many others he's said those kind of things to. Imagine, he tells that to an emotional teenager, could trigger her to go into depression or worse...

ohsnapword 21

Hire a lawyer. What he did is a violation of HIPAA and is extremely illegal. He could lose his license because of that, and very well should.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, OP. Please please please report them to the local Board of Pharmacy/Department of Health, and speak with their manager. As a pharmacy student myself, this is beyond sickening to hear about. This guy will probably be one of those fuckbags that refuses to dispense Plan B to women in need, too. I would like nothing more than to see him, and all other pharmacists that tarnish the reputation of pharmacy professionals, to be terminated from employment and have their licenses revoked. Don't ever feel bad about taking medication. Your doctor ordered it and the pharmacist obviously didn't see it was contraindicated with other medications you're on, so they've no reason to interject their beliefs on you. Again, I'm so sorry this happened to you. Thank you for at least reporting it to the manager!

Yeah, people are unprofessional. When I was pregnant with my son, I had awful morning sickness. I went to my local Nurse Practioner (my OBGYN appointment was 3 weeks away) for some help. The nurse would not prescribe medication to help my nausea until I heard all about how I needed to be married right away, and because she "had been near the country he was from" for a couple years, she 'knew' how he felt about marriage. I was mortified, and just nodded through the whole thing. It's been 3 years, and I still won't go back there. My son was a wonderful gift in my life, and the nurse made my feel awful about being pregnant with him.

Please make a complaint, you didn't deserve this kind of treatment or attitude and this person needs to lose their job. When I was younger I took the minipill due to severe cramps, the pill isn't just for contraceptive purposes

you don't have to explain why you need birth control to anyone but your doctor! you could be screwing every guy that is willing and it would still be no one's business. that pharmacist had absolutely no right to make any comment. apparently they're allowed to refuse, he should have simply done that instead if it's such an issue for him. (I'm from Canada and never encountered issues filling those). I'm so sorry this happened. bring a close friend or your mom with you and talk to the manager. I'm sure you're not the first this guy has done this too,. and if nothing is done you won't be the last

call him back and tell him you're not comfortable going to the store and meet him somewhere else. Take someone with you for support.

That is horrible. Absolutely horrible. I know you're embarrassed but please, for everyone's sake, to stop this happening to anyone else, you have to go in and speak to the manager because that pharmacist absolutely should be fired. And he won't be unless you follow through with the report.

I know you're embarrassed, but you NEED to go back to that store and get that employee the punishment he deserves. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for the other women buying birth control, or the men buying condoms. It is completely unacceptable for someone to treat another person like that, ESPECIALLY in the workplace. The money from your purchases are what will go into his paycheck, and he's treating you like that? Yeah right. If anyone ever said that to me, I'd have gotten the manager right then and there and had him fired on the spot. Please follow up on what happens next, if you can.

platnum42 8

I know this is from a while back but what part of Tennessee are you from?

So what happened? Did that pharmacist get fired or suspended?

You should tell him that he should really stop cosplaying as Dr. Doofenschmirtz that it's not cool anymore and he looks kind of lame.

Definitely report them as others have recommended! I know how intimidating things like that can be. I've had problems with my reproductive system since I was in high school that necessitated my seeing a gyn from a young age. My gyn performs abortions and on my first visit there were men protesting and saying all kinds of terrible things to me because I was a young girl seeing this doctor. Now that I'm older that shit just gets a hearty "go **** yourself" from me but when I was younger it was just scary and very intimidating. Don't let them get to you one way or the other! The reasons why you take birth control are personal and no ones concern but yours and your healthcare providers. No one should judge you one way or another and this pharmacist should be properly reprimanded for what they did!!

as a man i have no idea how they work but im going say that they have no right calling you a **** >:(

As a man, it is still good to know how birth control functions.

Ruskiy_Cherep 18

I work at a pharmacy, and I gotta say that was very unprofessional of the pharmacist. Hope they get whats coming to em

Unfortunately pharmacists can refuse to fill birth control or the morning after pill if they cite religious reasons or moral reasons. I'd like to hear the context of the comments. Sometimes they can be blunt and have awkward social interactions and sometimes they can be ass hats.

This isn't true, "six states (Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Mississippi, and South Dakota) have laws that specifically allow pharmacists to refuse to provide medications for religious or moral reasons." Tennessee is not one of these states, they can't legally refuse. Especially if they work for a major chain, major chains prohibit pharmacists from refusing to fill birth control, if they do this, they get disciplined or terminated. Other ones, they can refuse, but they have to refer the prescription to another pharmacy or pharmacist who can fill it. In any case though, there's a difference between refusing for personal beliefs, and outright insulting a customer.

I'm sorry but what that pharmacist did was beyond unprofessional and invasive of your privacy. Why the hell is it the pharmacist's business that you need birth control pills and make asinine comments about them other than to fulfill the prescription? If someone said dumb shit like that, i'd cuss the **** out of the pharmacist or punch'em in the face. I am also very sorry that the manager (or someone else in charge of the drugstore) wasn't even helping. Why he made these asinine remarks as he handled the situation, I don't know but he needs to keep his religious beliefs to himself. Birth control pills aren't always for having sex. I'd go to a different drugstore to fulfill my prescriptions than to deal with these invasive, unprofessional asswipes. They have no right to tell you how to run your life.

You know of ONE person who had complications and you didn't know them. Millions of women all over the world are on birth control, of course a few of them will have problems but most of them will be fine.

That is the most horrifying thing I have read so far, I would never in a million years talk to a customer like that. If I where you I would be there right now, an idiot like that has no business being a pharmacist or serving anybody behind a desk. I urge you to get rid of this freak and save anyone else from such a horrible embarrassment. I'm so sorry that happens to you.

Garnetshaddow 30

I take birth control pills to control horribly painful and unpredictable periods. I used to need to spend several days in bed. I'm lucky I live in an are where this type of behavior is uncommon. I honestly don't understand why people who have "moral objections" to medications would bother with a pharmacists licence. It makes as much sense as a straight edge bartender. I hope somebody sues and this makes it in to the courts. Everybody has a right to be treated with respect. Nobody should be treated like that for medication. Stay strong OP. We're with you!