By sirenmario - 20/01/2011 00:52

Today, a patient at the hospital I work at had a tracheal tube and couldn't speak. I'm unable to read lips, but I'm pretty sure he was mouthing the words 'stupid bitch' every time I tried to stop him from pulling out his IV. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 005
You deserved it 2 679

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You're not a stupid bitch for doing your job.

Pull out his tracheal tube and then see what he says.

Comments

Too bad a patient is a slab of meat, not a customer.

I can't vote because I wouldn't say that your life sucks. But I can't say that you deserved it either, not really. It's just one of the bad sides of taking care of people who are sick and possible confused from the illness/ the drugs they have in their system.

tykiej 0

26, well said! OP, keep your chin up! You are making a difference!!

Every time he tries to pull out his IV, yank on his catheter.

anonnie 0

Lol... That sucks. But it comes with the job. And if he takes out his IV, it'll just give you a reason to practice starting IVs. Maybe he'll stop pulling it out when he realizes that more pain will come from it. Remind him that he needs it, and that pulling it out will lead to more needle sticks.

anonnie 0

And @18: Patients can have a trach and still eat. We have patients in the subacute setting that have trachs and eat regular food :)

dixie1958 0

perhaps he was trying to say he had an itch - many patients are tape/adhesive sensitive. Gently remind him of the need for the IV and other medical equipment. If he is able to write, provide him with paper and pen, hold the tablet so he can communicate his needs to you. This may go a long way towards compliance. As others before me have said, we are in a profession requiring compassion. If you are so absorbed in your own self pity, grow up, rethink your career choice, and move on. We all have bad days but please don't take yours out on the patients. They are having a much worse day than you!

DakotaCat 4

Since you can't read lips how do you know he really meant that. Maybe he was saying "scratch my itch"?

shouldn't the patient have access to an AAC so he can actually communicate? If I had no way of communicating with other people I'd be pretty unhappy too

You know, you kind of are a stupid bitch for complaining about something that minor while someone who is dying (or at least in very bad shape) is right there. I mean, maybe he could be nicer, but the fact that you're complaining about someone on their way out is kinda ******.