By sirenmario - 20/01/2011 00:52

Today, a patient at the hospital I work at had a tracheal tube and couldn't speak. I'm unable to read lips, but I'm pretty sure he was mouthing the words 'stupid bitch' every time I tried to stop him from pulling out his IV. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 005
You deserved it 2 679

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You're not a stupid bitch for doing your job.

Pull out his tracheal tube and then see what he says.

Comments

princesspixie 0

if he is on a tracheal tube why is he awake?

FYLDeep 25

Because he keeps foiling their attempts to sedate him via IV?

chillinAK 9

Um, 13 - you can have a trach and be wide awake shortly after the procedure.

he was asking for his "Swedish fish" which were on the counter..

FYLDeep 25

Is it possible to eat with one of those tubes in? If so, it would have to be a pretty shitty experience, even though Swedish fish are pretty awesome.

haha I have no clue but I'd try it for a Swedish fish!

And this is an FML why? Yeah, it's damned annoying. Ask a doctor for a restraint to keep the medical equipment in place if it's really a problem. As for being called stupid bitch, you are a nurse, your job is to help him, not like him. Water off a duck's back. Just be thankful he isn't combative. My last combative patient sent me to the ER.

chillinAK 9

She could be a CNA whose sole purpose is to sit with him so that he can't pull on any of his tubes. Some states have strict rules on restraints - of any kind. Texas is one that you have to jump through hoops to get restraints. Thats why they employ sitters or have family sit with them. But yeah, I've been sent to ER after a patient chucked me out because of his drug mix. No fun.

theinfamousrayne 0

I can totally see where this is an FML. In the medical field you bust your ass to make people healthy and then you have morons like this trying to hurt themselves and when you do your job, they feel the need to be jerks... just because it happens a lot doesn't mean it's not FML It just means your job sucks... but hey! Someone has gotta do it! Thank you for putting up with shitty people so that we have nurses to take care of us when we're in the hospital and at the doc's office ^.^

it's your job, these things happen -_- ydi for choosing this job...

Well, if he has a tube in him, he may not in his 'right mind' so don't take it personally. I would advise him that there are 3 options if he does not cease and desist. a) he can rip it out and I will put another one in (I don't mind, I can try a foot IV if all his hand/arm/AC veins are blown); b) he can be restrained physically (I don't mind, allows me to practice my knots); c) I can ask my partner to fire up the meds (I don't mind, but I will need to get an IV for my partner... Go back to step a). Patient care is all about them and has very little to do with us (except that we have to do our jobs as professionally and compassionately as possible). I would explain what will need to happen if he doesn't leave his IV alone (and that the optimal scenario is that he just let things remain as they are). If he persists, fire up option a, b, c. Also look him straight in the eyes while touching his arm or something. I find if they see that you aren't there to hurt them they are more likely to calm down, even with a head injury. If your FML is serious and you're taking it personally, I suggest getting some counselling to learn coping strategies or find another profession. Remember, you're not the one with the tube and IV in you so it's a pretty good day, overall.

Nicely said. When someone in the hospital asks me how I am, my standard reply is, "Better than all my patients, which makes it a good day".

sallen0046 4

If you can't deal with rude and verbally abusive patients, screaming, crying, and bodily fluids, it's time to look for a new profession. In the medical setting, you're going to get something unpleasant quite a bit more frequently than you're going to get thanked. If you can't deal with that, you need to get out now while this is the worst thing you've encountered.

Yeah... I know that, at least here, it's standard practice to sedate for anything that goes down your throat... Tubes, cameras, etc. I wonder if the patient even had the option to be sedated.

he might be sedated and trying to take the IVs out because he is confused because of the seditives