Time to run

By sad day - 21/06/2020 17:04

Today, my dad planned his wedding to his mistress for literally the day after his divorce from my mom becomes final. My dad says he’ll be devastated if I don’t go, while my mother will feel betrayed if I do. I’m not sure who to hurt. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 305
You deserved it 140

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don’t go. Mom has already been betrayed by your dad. Plus it will probably be super-awkward for you to act happy, when you still haven’t had the time to process the divorce. Sorry you are having to go through this.

Why is this a question in your mind? Going would be condoning your father’s betrayal. Even the marriage to your mom was doomed to end, there’s a right way and a wrong way to end a relationship. Put yourself in your mother’s shoes, how would you feel?

Comments

I gotta ask, was your mom that bad of a person to even have this question? Like, truthfully, if your mom was a horrible person and your dad wasn’t completely in the wrong for having a mistress (which honestly she’d have to be TERRIBLE and abusive to all involved), then that should also answer your question. But of course this is weird to ask if she was a great mom and wife...

Here's a thought: Don't go to your cheating dad's wedding.

Go, your father doesn't owe your mother his happiness. Being focused on being bitter about a unhappy relationship ending is not a productive mindset. Your moms inability to move on and accept the current reality is doing a disservice to you both.

Did you bother to read this in detail? OP's father is marrying his mistress the day after divorcing his wife. That means he was cheating, and has chosen that date to spite his soon-to-be ex-wife. Both of these are dick moves. OP's mom could have had time to get over the fact that her marriage was ending, but this admission will have reminded her just how much of an asshole her husband is, and whatever bitterness she had, if any, will be completely buried by the heartache of her marriage ending, along with the possibility of OP putting the happiness of his prick of a father over being there for his mother. I don't know if this wedding happened before lockdown, or is still pending, but your mom needs you, OP. Your dad is a turd, and seems to be doing all he can to hurt your mom. Leave him to his mistress. She's obviously all he cares about. For now, at least.

Agreed, BurnInDemonFire. Hell, if I was OP, I would cut all ties with him.

By the way, Brightside86, are you ******* serious? So you're condoning his cheating on his wife? What is wrong with you?

Mine are going through this too. It’s hard😖

Your dad sounds like a asshat , why would you take his side when your mum has already been hurt ?

Yea, you shouldn’t go. What your dad did was completely heartless!

This exact thing happened to me left my house the day of the wedding and he threatened to call the cops on a “missing child” but ended up not forcing me to go still happy with my decision to this day

I’d say your dad. That sounds like he cheated on your mother. Stay away from the wedding.

Amanda G Rich 23

devastate your dad is what I say

"Mom, I love you and dad. Don't feel betrayed." and go. I'm assuming she's saying that because he cheated on her with that woman... Divorce finalized and starting the process could take a year or more. Maybe he met this woman during that time?