Time to run

By sad day - 21/06/2020 17:04

Today, my dad planned his wedding to his mistress for literally the day after his divorce from my mom becomes final. My dad says he’ll be devastated if I don’t go, while my mother will feel betrayed if I do. I’m not sure who to hurt. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 306
You deserved it 140

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don’t go. Mom has already been betrayed by your dad. Plus it will probably be super-awkward for you to act happy, when you still haven’t had the time to process the divorce. Sorry you are having to go through this.

Why is this a question in your mind? Going would be condoning your father’s betrayal. Even the marriage to your mom was doomed to end, there’s a right way and a wrong way to end a relationship. Put yourself in your mother’s shoes, how would you feel?

Comments

Don’t go. Mom has already been betrayed by your dad. Plus it will probably be super-awkward for you to act happy, when you still haven’t had the time to process the divorce. Sorry you are having to go through this.

The only reason I would go is to deliver an EPIC speech at the reception. "I didn't think I was going to give a speech, but I was truly inspired..." "When these two met, I was not there, but I think it is safe to say sparks flew...from a single flame that would become a roaring blaze. They grew even closer to each other and that blaze grew to be the raging bonfire that consume his reason, his compassion, and, most of all , the love he felt for his WIFE...and the marriage that would become ashes in the wake of it..."

Same thing happened to me so I left my house the day of the wedding he then threatened to call the cops for a “missing child” but didn’t end up making me go still happy with my decision

Just tell him you're sick and it's coming out of both ends. Then offer to come anyway.

Which parent is going to give you more money in their will?

Why is this a question in your mind? Going would be condoning your father’s betrayal. Even the marriage to your mom was doomed to end, there’s a right way and a wrong way to end a relationship. Put yourself in your mother’s shoes, how would you feel?

I wouldn’t go to either, unfortunately they’ll both be hurt if you go one or the other, don’t go to either it will suck that you hurt them both but it is totally unfair for them to put you in the position due to their own problems and such.

rotflqtms_ 21

The predicament is not going to one event or another, it's if the kid should go to the wedding or not. Going would hurt the mom, not going would hurt the dad. You can't choose not to go to either... to go or not to go, that is the question...um... decision...

If it were my Dad, I’d tell him to stick it where the sun don’t shine. He’s clearly in the wrong here.

Sorry you have to go through this... Whether to go or not, it depens on what is your relationship wih your parents. Are you really happy that your father has heated on your mother ? (sorry if those questions seem rude/insensitive but the FML is laking some context). Anyway do you want to go to the wedding just beause he is our father and family? If he has cheated on your mother before the divorce, then he clearly does not care about what family or respect is... Good luck (if you are really seeking advice, you may want to go on reddit, r/relationship or r/amItheAsshole it could be usefull)

Don’t go that was a dick move on his part just explain that you should not have to make this choice.

Lydmyers 9

He is a cheating dick, who hurt your mum. I wouldn't go, based on that alone.