Throwing shade

By deargodwhy - 04/09/2020 10:03

Today, my 12-year-old daughter was suspended from school for doing a book report on 50 Shades of Grey. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 151
You deserved it 779

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm hoping you didn't know that was her book choice?

Would you prefer that she get paddled or spanked by the principal? That would be a 51st shade of grey.

Comments

coius 23

Im thinking this might be a religious parochial school, hence the suspension. When I was in a Catholic school (Pre-K till about 4th grade), I had been suspended for refusing to say the Pledge of allegiance. They will do all sorts of stuff to people that don’t conform to doctrine. A book report at a religious school would definitely get suspended for a book report on this. Only other thing I could think is if the 12 year old got belligerent after being informed it was an unacceptable book to be doing a report on. Lastly, I’m sure if she used certain types of langauge in the report, that might cause it too (like age inappropriate terms or fowl langauge with no reason like references)

Did they give the child a list of appropriate books to use? If not then the child shouldn’t have been suspended/expelled. Do I agree a twelve year old should be reading 50 Shades? No, but the child completed the assignment and shouldn’t be punished.

At least she only got suspended. In my times she’d get bend over the principal’s knees and get a good bare hand spanking!.

I'm a Fifty Shades fan (so sue me), but yeah, a 12-year-old shouldn't be reading it. My question is, how did no one, you or the teacher, know she was reading it and doing a report on it? And a bigger question is, why is she being suspended over it? That seems a little harsh. She was told to read a book and do a report on it. She did that. I'd say she'd have to do it over with a more appropriate book, but suspending her seems way too strict.