Talk is cheap

By Tris - 12/09/2019 16:00

Today, my co-workers keep making fun of me because I said, “You’re very so welcome.” They say it's not proper grammar, but honestly I can’t find anything that says I’m wrong. FML
I agree, your life sucks 575
You deserved it 2 099

Same thing different taste

And then I go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like…

By Anonymous - 23/04/2023 12:00 - Austria - Graz

Today, at my mum’s birthday dinner, my brother-in-law used a Latin phrase in the wrong way. Since we all have learned Latin, I taught him the correct way until everyone facepalmed in my direction. He made a rather nice wordplay and now I’m known as the educated idiot who is too stupid to understand a simple joke. FML
I agree, your life sucks 224
You deserved it 1 026

Top comments

It's a redundant sentence. It should be "You're welcome" or "You're very welcome" "You're very so welcome" is wrong in structure and it's redundant. It should be "You're so very welcome". However, that is redundant as well...but at least that would be structured properly.

You can use "so" to intensify "very," but you can't intensify "so" with "very."

Comments

It's a redundant sentence. It should be "You're welcome" or "You're very welcome" "You're very so welcome" is wrong in structure and it's redundant. It should be "You're so very welcome". However, that is redundant as well...but at least that would be structured properly.

It’s not. “You’re so very welcome” would be more acceptable.

Sorry, kid, we're not going to do your grammar homework for you.

Of course they make fun of you -- you sound like Yoda. Besides the awkward word order, it sounds like an insincere (or even sarcastic) exaggeration. If the person said "thank you very much," your reply seems like you're making fun of the person's excessive gratitude. Just say "you're welcome" and be done with it, Timmy.

You can use "so" to intensify "very," but you can't intensify "so" with "very."

Aw, you should make him do his own research. How will he learn?

Well your fml was published so now you can have hundreds of people tell you you’re wrongXD

Mungolikecandy 19

To start with the words are messed up in their order. If you had stated "You're so very welcome" it would be a start although either the so or the very is redundant as "very welcome" or "so welcome" would be better.

Just type it in Microsoft Word. That will show up any grammar mistakes.

Major_Haywire 7

By any chance do you think life is like a box of chocolates?