Swindled

By Anonymous - 28/06/2012 16:53 - United States - Fallbrook

Today, I found out that the piece of vacant land I purchased for $20,000 is illegal to build a house on, due to acreage restrictions. Thank you, realtor. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 552
You deserved it 5 661

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I would have done research with the town first. With any kind of construction you want to talk to people about ordinances first. The realtor just wants to sell sell sell.

Could always build a paintball course and get revenue from that

Comments

I'm fairly certain they have to disclose that to you. I would contact an attorney to see if you have any ground to stand on. If you can't build anything on it--I'd sit a trailer there and sell snowcones. You'd be surprised how much people would pay for one of those bad boys, and you aren't building anything on the property. Eventually you'd make your money back!

lolnatalyloves 9

Sue them for not disclosing that information.

Shouldn't you have checked that out BEFORE you bought it?

AntonioMontana 0

Put a converted tool-shed house on the land, fence around property, and signs that read "No Warrant, No Entry" "Trespassers will be shot at upon sight". Unless you can't legally own a gun, in which case, I'll buy the land from you..

You still need a building permit for a tool shed. Legally, un-permitted structures can be demolished with 30 days notice by the building & zoning department of that jurisdiction. They can then charge for due process, demolition fees, personnel/labor expenses, and countless other fines. You fail.

Contact the realtor again or sue them. Surely they should have disclosed that to you?

Dude, I would sue the **** out of the real estate agent and the seller. It's illegal for them (at least where I am) not to tell you stuff like that.

Why would you build on a piece of 20k? A hammock?

Get a trailer or one of those nice and big mobile homes or even a tiny house