Smooth criminal

By omgfmlhard - 11/05/2009 23:14 - United States

Today, I walked into Best Buy to buy a 42" widescreen TV I'd been saving up for many months. As I walked in, a man stopped me and handed me my wallet that I'd accidentally dropped. I thanked him. Five minutes later at the checkout, I opened up my wallet to realize it was empty. He had stolen everything. FML
I agree, your life sucks 57 963
You deserved it 12 060

Same thing different taste

Top comments

So after losing your wallet you waited until you were at the cashier to check if all your cash was still there??

Uh... do you mean you were carrying all that money in cash? If it was a card then it wouldn't matter, he couldn't use it...

Comments

sorry you had to learn such an expensive lesson that you should never carry that much cash on you. Debit cards are the way to go.

that_guy01 0

As a general rule never carry more than about 100 bucks on you in cash (unless 100 bucks is a lot to you, then even less). Debit card or a check (just remember the check # so you'll know if it's used if stolen). Sucks you had to learn the hard way. I'll also have to add that guy has the biggest balls of all of us to clean out your wallet and hand it back to you. If it wasn't so ****** up i'd say props, but yea. Wow.

That's why you check it when they hand it back to you....

kellster 2

How did you accidentally drop your wallet? Were you carrying it in your hand? A loose pocket? That just seems strangely careles to me. I can safely say that I've never dropped my wallet ever before, unless it slipped from my hand and I grabbed it within the next two seconds. You would think that you would be more careful, especially on your way to making a major purchase.

FBIWarning 0

YDI for not checking your wallet when he gave it back.

#19: You can call your bank to have them lift your spending limit for a day. It's just there to protect you in case somebody steals your card. Anyway, debit/credit cards have fraud protection. Even if your card was stolen and your account drained (or credit maxed out), you're only liable for $50 on a debit card or $0 on a credit card (provided you alert them as soon as possible after losing the card - if they can prove that you delayed in alerting them and in the time you delayed they could have prevented the damage, you start to be liable partially).

birds_fml 7

YDI. Who carries that much cash?

At least you could call the banks/CC companies and freeze/cancel your cards. Because you weren't carrying cash enough to buy more than your lunch, right? I mean, that would still suck, but it would also be really dumb or your part. FYL anyway.

2 rules: keep as few valuables as possible on you, and always carry a knife.

#60, it's called an ATM. You can deposit cash and checks on Sunday, during the night, etc. #33, true, but if you have bad credit YDI anyway. With a debit card, you call the bank to cancel, and they reverse any fraudulent charges. This just happened to my friend a couple of months ago. The bank takes the loss, and this is why banks are always warning you about potential fraud. They stand to lose by it.