She's right, you know

By Anonymous - 27/07/2009 16:52 - United Kingdom

Today, I was babysitting some kids and helping them make a poster about insects. They couldn't think of any more insects to add so I suggested a spider, and got told to "not be a dumbass, spiders aren't insects they're arachnids." The girl is six. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 930
You deserved it 55 983

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ryoga 0

She should have slapped you, too.

Comments

biiiiizzzay 0

YDI for not knowing a spider is an arachnid.

How many adults ever use the word "arachnid"? I know spiders are arachnids and I still call them insects because I don't want to look like a complete nerd. That is one awesome 6-year old. Be glad she's saying stuff like that and not yet another speech about her My Little Pony collection or a summary of last week's episode of the Powerpuff Girls or whatever the hell it is that 6-year old girls do.

Um, you can call them bugs, but you don't have to intentionally mislabel them as insects just to not "look like a complete nerd." Besides it's not only nerds that know spiders aren't insects.

AngryC4t 0

"How many adults ever use the word "arachnid"? I know spiders are arachnids and I still call them insects because I don't want to look like a complete nerd." Adults who don't want to look stupid. You can go on thinking that looking like a dumbass is better than looking even remotely educated if you want to, as it has become custom in this country, but I think I will go the "nerd" route.

RESTAREA 0

Shows how much you know... Powerpuff Girls isn't even on anymore, but damn, that was a good show.

It was definitely a hell of a lot better than most of the crappy cartoons on Cartoon Network these days.

, grow up.. FYL #20 more like it.. for being a smart ass just like 6 yr old

Wow, totally got owned by the girl!

meeeep 0

i highly doubt a little kid would ever say dumbass

That's just immature. Act like a real nerd? Wtf?

i don't know the word "arachnid". (i'm not a native speaker though.) still suggesting that spider is an insect is plainly wrong.

In Greco-Roman mythology, Arachne (pronounced /ə-ˈræk-ni/) was a great mortal weaver who boasted that her skill was greater than that of Minerva, the Latin parallel of Pallas Athena, goddess of crafts. The offended goddess set a contest between the two weavers but, according to Ovid, the mortal weaver's subjects, the loves of the gods, was so offensive that Athena destroyed Arachne's tapestry and loom. Ultimately, the goddess turned Arachne into a spider. Arachne simply means "spider" (ἀράχνη) in Greek.

boatkicker 4

It makes me really happy that someone mentioned that myth. Whenever I see the word arachnid my first thought is that legend. :)

yep, and when I bring it up people stare at me like I'm some kind of book ***** :)

YDI but i also hate little kids who act like that

mellovesyuh 0

Wtf does OP and YDI meann??

ryoga 0

She should have slapped you, too.

greenltrn2003 0

lmfao...that would be a nice sketch comedy skit

snavula 0

Wow, only FMLs display little kids saying intelligent things. AND they always do it in a belittling way like an adult would. I've never seen any little kids like this and yet there are so many FMLs about them?

Mausler 0

you smell that exaggeration in the air?

Smells like...like...aw, nerts, smells like I forgot my deodorant! :-

_THE_MASTER_ 0

i talked like that when i was a kid...but of course, look at me now. I'm one of those 'no-filter' people that just kinda says whatever pops up in their mind. It is a lot of fun though...

deaditegirl 0

YDI for thinking spiders are insects.

Oh children are so sweet and charming nowadays. Now I'm wondering why I don't have any of my own! ^^

_THE_MASTER_ 0

THAT'S THE PRECISE REASON I WANT TO HAVE CHILDREN!!!!!! how could you not? I wan't my kids cursin and swearin like sailors by the time they're 5. get them ready for the real world. i mean honestly, they're just words, who gives a rat's ass?

I would have said that to you. Precision of language, Jonas!

caramelize 0

The Giver ftw. And YDI, how did you not know spiders were arachnids? But also FYL for being called a dumbass by a six-year-old.

Haha this is sooo funnny!!!! Lmao its probably a lie though ;) all these FMLs are

quite_bored 9

******* conspiracy theorists.

wkwk_fml 6

well I'm still hoping they are true

That's awesome! But I'm from London and I have never heard a child say "dumbass". It's too much of an Americanism.

lwdjaymac 1

Agreed. Leads me to doubt the authenticity of the story. In the very least the author has embellished it a little.

stfu. u call French fries chips. English people are dumb asses. XD suck on that mudda fudda XP

anii123 0

Shut up. Don't hate because you ain't.