Nervous Nelly

By Odnel - 27/07/2013 04:47 - United States - Arlington

Today, my family and I visited my cousins in Virginia. When we arrived, we found that they already had guests over. I've stuttered my whole life, so when they asked me what my name was, I stuttered for several seconds trying to say my name. Everyone burst out laughing. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 177
You deserved it 3 833

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Tell them to go F-F-F-F-F-**** themselves

Ali_Br_fml 33

Don't worry about them OP, they're complete and total jerks. Your cousins are the worst! They KNOW about your problem & they still laugh at it. Yeah, I know families are mean and all, but someone who laughs at someone else just because they stutter (especially at your own family member in front of strangers/guests) is worth less than the dirt under my shoes.

Comments

since they were guests they probably didn't know about your stuttering problem and took it as a moment of nerves or something. your family however knows about your lifelong condition of stuttering so therefore knows the trouble you have with it. either way neither should have laughed at you for any reason they may have chalked the moment up to being. Its very rude, especially for guests who don't know you well enough to be laughing hysterically at you.

Guests are sometimes assholes. It's not fair.

narkill 13

What if you had a condition? You shouldn't make fun of people becasue they're different! It's not OP's fault they stutter. And you don't have to be a buttmuncher about it. So STAPH.

kmm316 9

Don't feel bad about it OP. You have to just ignore assholes in this world and if they happen to be related to you then so be it.

that sucks sry butters hope their being nicer to you. it too bad your own family is muking fun of your disability

Trisha_aus 15

Wait..butter is the cure for stuttering?

I think he was referring to Butters from South Park

Funny how stuttering is only considered a disability and a "problem" here in the US and other modern cultures. But in un-modern cultures its not even noticed as a issue at all. People don't have anything "wrong" really, the synapse just takes a little bit longer to fire. The real problem is people are uneducated about the subject.

perdix 29

What did you expect, applause? People get freaked out by others' speech impediments and laughter is a way to cope with discomfort and fear. While it was rude and immatur of them, I hope you took it as a wake-up call to get to speech therapy and overcome your problem. Either that or you could write pop song lyrics.

No, OP expected them to not be complete assholes about it. Fear? OP has a stutter, a rather common problem, not three heads. OP could already be in therapy, it doesn't mean that their stutter will magically vanish. My brother has a stutter, he's been in speech therapy for years now and still stutters occasionally. Hysterically laughing because someone stutters is incredibly rude and frankly, a rather dickish and pathetic thing to do.

They're not just "people" they're his family. They should be understanding, not putting OP down to make themselves feel good. Assholes...

Trisha_aus 15
olpally 32

66, he went too far this time. He over killed his own comment. A bad comment is bad, regardless of how well known the commenter is or not.

Agreed. Just because you're "well known" you don't get to get away with everything. This should apply to celebrities/ politics as well.

mimiloves 3

It's people like you that cause problems like these.

Your family sucks. Take it back to the store.

graceinsheepwear 33

*franticly searches through trash* *holds receipt up in the air* FOUND IT!

skip_m 6

Dude.... I'm also a stutterer who finally got it under control after attending a 2 week speech therapy program at the Hollins Communication Research Institute in Roanoke, Va. Their website is stuttering.org. program graduates include Lester Hayes (NFL) and astronaut John Glenn's wife. Good luck!

Sugar_Sugar_fml 4

Nothing wrong with stuttering. Unique and sexy ;)