Movie going

By soembarassed - 18/03/2016 18:26 - Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh City

Today, a man kept talking and laughing like an idiot all through the movie I was watching. I thought he was high, so I called him a moron and told him to shut the hell up. It turned out he wasn't high. He was just "special". FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 852
You deserved it 11 370

Same thing different taste

Top comments

The best thing to do when someone's being disruptive in a theater is to go find an employee. They're able to get people to quiet down or leave (if necessary) without bothering other theatergoers.

Comments

Well, people may downvote me, but I gotta go half and half on this. You were probably in the wrong calling the guy a moron, though I'm sure if he was "special" then whoever was taking care of him should have known better than to take him to a public place where he would possibly cause a disturbance. On the other hand, if the guy was self-sufficient, then he should've known better.

Why would any one bring special needs people in to a theater? That's stupid

Steve97 32

Then they can watch Netflix or learn how to behave in public. If my 2 and 6 year old cousins know how to behave at the movies then there's no excuse that someone with "special" needs can't also learn how to behave in public.

really lol??? In many cases people with special needs don't have the mental capability to "learn to behave in public", their thoughts process differently. your 2 and 6 year old cousins probably have a better understanding of what is "socially acceptable" in a movie theatre because they don't have any invisible abnormalities affecting their processing. So no, they generally can't just "learn to behave".

of course this depends on the severity. But it still isn't accurate to compare your young cousins to individuals with special needs if they are "normal" functioning. AND not condoning the disruptive behaviour but the "blame" if you call it that should be placed on the caregiver or guardian who was likely with the individual.

aliciousness116 16

What a **** of you to say that! I have a younger brother who is a special child and I feel highly offended by your crude remark!

#19 #39 Because they are human beings. You might be agitated slightly by their brief presence passing in public but as long as they do not post a threat to themselves, others, or property they have every right to leave their homes and experience the world like any other human. Do you abide by the archaic notion that they should be confined to their homes their entire lives just so that their mere presence doesn't offend your delicate senses?

Wow there is a nicer way to tell people to be quiet. YDI.

That sucks but there's no way you could of known about it

I'm biased - and I know I am! - because my sister has special needs, and if someone told her to shut the **** up whilst she was enjoying herself, I would properly kick off. HOWEVER, as unnecessarily rude as I think you were, I think the person who has the most blame here is the guardian. I take my sister to the cinema and the theatre as often as possible because I don't think her disability should hinder her from doing 'normal' day to day activities, but if she's being too loud or talking too much then I tell her she needs to calm down and be quiet because she's not the only person there. It teaches her that she can enjoy herself whilst also being mindful of others. The guardian in this situation should have done the exact same thing. In future, maybe just try a polite tap on the shoulder followed by a, "hey, can you please quiet down?" :) (Sorry for the very long comment!)

As a mother to an autistic child- damn you are a great brother! Your family is blessed to have you.

I like to think I'm more of a great sister, seeing as I'm a girl, but thank you! :)

dannidoll93 24

Sad to see some of the comments on this post. Obviously wherever possible I take my clients to autism-friendly screenings but sometimes it just isn't possible. I suspect most people's noise would be drowned out by the movie anyway, and the guy probably rarely gets to the cinema and was just really enjoying himself. Check your privilege OP.

dannidoll93 24

Incidentally the words "like an idiot" and "special" are not considered appropriate to describe someone with a learning disability

delfino1604 24

hey right on! you really said it right!

JackDupp 11

I was mostly with you until you said "check your privelege ". Being born without a handicap is not a privelege, it's a matter of circumstance.

And being born white or black or in America or Australia, what have you, isn't a matter of circumstance...?

JackDupp 11

When, where, and how you were born are all circumstances. Priveleges are bestowed upon people, physical characteristics are not.

Really? Your parents are 100% more likely to know what race you'll be born as than if you'll have a disability (although technology is getting better for that but the point still stands). It's not connected to anything anyone has done and I'd consider it a damn privilege to not be disabled and then not have to deal with being judged for being disabled. Privilege, since you don't seem to know the definition, is a group having a special right or advantage. That term has been linked to disability historically in an academic way.

46, what in the hell does race have to do with this FML? No one was even remotely discussing race until you brought it up. Using it to "prove" your point just makes you look awkward.

brendejafulable 41

I work with individuals with special needs and when we take our consumers to theaters we have to make sure they are not disruptive and if they do have a behavior we take them from the scene and handle it. who ever that was taking care of the person should have done the same thing.

The same thing happened to me except I didn't say anything to her, I just turned around and gave a few passive aggressive glances. I know it's awful but I still can't help being really irritated by a loud movie-goer, even if they have special needs

after all, it is your world and we're all just living in it :)

Special. There are a lot of better ways to say they are a person wth disabilities. Your wording is highly degrading.