Memento

By you can't remember? - 24/04/2023 12:00

Today, I found a notebook labeled "IMPORTANT INFO" in my boyfriend's nightstand. Looking in, I saw he'd written down a bunch of information about me, like my birthday and things I like. When I asked, he said, "I'm forgetful and didn't want to accidentally be a dick." FML
I agree, your life sucks 172
You deserved it 1 669

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Not everybody has fantastic memories - besides, you're clearly important enough to him that he wants to remember things about you, so I don't understand your complaint.

So, you snoop in his "Important info"-notebook, and even has the audacity to confront him about taken notes on what you like? YDI. But I'm not sure you deserve him. Grow up!

Comments

Not everybody has fantastic memories - besides, you're clearly important enough to him that he wants to remember things about you, so I don't understand your complaint.

So, you snoop in his "Important info"-notebook, and even has the audacity to confront him about taken notes on what you like? YDI. But I'm not sure you deserve him. Grow up!

I understand being in shock seeing that out of nowhere, but not everybody can remember stuff like that, and he is making a concentrated effort to keep track another way that works for him instead.

Sounds like he's putting in extra effort, to not accidentally be a dick. Doesn't sound like you are.

This is so thoughtful and sweet! Seems like your bf is a really caring person who puts a lot of effort into being a proper SO. Now if only he would get someone who doesn't go through his stuff and then being an unsupportive annoying person.

Just as long as you don't find his dossiers on this other girlfriends, there shouldn't be a problem.

Not everyone has a good memory. And some of us have memory holes that tend to lose things like names and dates (birthdays, anniversaries). Obviously boyfriend wants to be a good boyfriend which should mean he is a treasure… Allow people to be themselves, don’t expect everyone to be exactly like you. My wife has memory issues (in her case collateral damage from a stroke she had long ago). She has her ways of compensating - She keeps a detailed calendar for example. In the real world, effective people find ways of compensating for their limitations so that they function well.

Your boyfriend doesn’t want to be a dick. And what’s the problem?

This is really a nobody sucks here IMO. I see why it's surprising, but it sounds like your SO really cares, is aware he's absentminded, and is taking extra steps to keep track of things. Notice, his notebook labeled as important info is literally all about you. But realizing your SO has such poor memory that he needs a notebook for these things is a bit disheartening, even if we can all appreciate the effort he's putting in. No Fs given here.

I don't at all see why this is a negative for you. "oh no, my boyfriend cares enough to make an effort and keep track of things so as not to hurt my feelings" yeah wow poor you. get over yourself and leave this guy to find someone who appreciates him and won't drag him on the internet for being awesome.