Make it stop

By ElizaWy - 26/10/2016 15:52

Today, I celebrated my fifteen-week anniversary. No, not a relationship anniversary. A migraine anniversary. It won't stop. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 678
You deserved it 840

Same thing different taste

Top comments

a fifteen week long migraine? please tell me you've seen a professional, cause that sounds like something definitely isn't right

Uh, I think it's more complicated than that. It sounds like you're talking about a regular headache. Migraine is much different.

Comments

They may have already been to the doctor. Last year I had one that lasted for 7 months. 7 months of exhausting and painful testing that left me with a diagnosis of TIA's (Pre-cursor to strokes). I really hope that yours go away and aren't caused by anything serious, or at least that can be easily fixed.

OP, I am so sorry you have to deal with this kind of hellish pain! Believe me when I say I understand completely, I've had migraines off and on since childhood. I woke up one day in 2002 with a bitch of one thinking it'd go away and reset with rest and meds... almost 15 years later, I still have it, I've been dealing with it constantly. It's something I wouldn't wish on anyone! I have pain meds that can keep it somewhat tolerable but won't take it away completely. I broke down last year and got my Daith(ear) pierced on the main side of the pain hoping it'd help my spikes in pain throughout the day, by day 2 I was able to cut 2 doses of pain meds, 6 months later had the other one done so it wouldn't evolve and swap sides, it helped drastically compared to what it was before. Not gone completely but a hell of a lot better! $40ish piercing and less pain, I can manage that! It's less that one dose of my "rescue meds" that don't work worth a flip. You might look into that if meds aren't working and the Doc's don't know the root cause. When I told my neuro and pain management dr how much the piercing helped, they actually started suggesting it to other patients who were pretty medication resistant as an option. Also, not sure if you know about the trick of redirecting your blood flow. You put your feet & hands in bath temp water and an ice pack at the base of your scull for about 30 mins and it helps with the throbbing and redirects your blood from pounding in your head back to your extremities. Chiropractic care and massage therapy have helped with me too, but still not pain free, but a lot more tolerable than it has been in the past! Maybe talk to a neuro about checking your spinal fluid pressure and/or also a nerve block to help with the pain. I do hope you are able to get yours under control and get to feeling human again! Best of luck to you!

OneFourNine 9

I have chronic migraines since 1988 and I had constant pain from 1990 to 1994. I agree with the Ice on the head remedy. I put mine on the top and side of my head where my migraine is and leave it there as long as possible and until I am more in pain from the cold than the migraine. That really reduces the intensity of the migraine and the pain from the cold goes away in 2 minutes. Something that really helps too is to eliminate all possible migraine triggers for at least 24 hours and maybe even a few days. That means no alcohol, no coffee, tea or milk, no Coca-Cola, Pepsi or energy drink, no spice, not even salt or pepper, no dairy, no fruit, no nut of any kind, no candy, no chocolate, nothing with MSG, cinnamon, or anything too artificial, no cold cuts or any processed meat, nothing pickled in vinegar or salt, good regular nights at regular time (not too long, not too short), no naps during the day, no video games, very little TV, computer or screen time on the cell phone, no exertion, so only soft and limited physical exercise, no bending down, no sudden movement, no recreational drugs, no perfume, no sprays, no loud or thumping music, no strong or strobe light, no stress, worries or arguing, a constant comfortable temperature (not too hot, not too warm), free respiration at all times, some fresh air every day and hopefully no grey sky or rainy day. Basically, live quietly in a quiet environment, relax, drink only pure water and eat very simply, healthy, naturally and blandly for a day or three. It's no great fun, but it's not hard either and the payout can be amazing: a day without pain! Then once the migraine is gone or almost gone, try re-introducing each of these possible triggers one by one and pay attention to any sign of a new migraine. After a few tries, you should be able to identify which of these possible triggers are the culprits for you and which others are safe, and then you can better prevent migraine from occurring. In my case, repeated relaxing acupuncture also helped greatly once but not at all few years later. Good luck OP!

moo77_fml 20

My bro is a sufferer .. I've researched the piercing which might help as per comment above but he also tried acupuncture which helped .. hope you feel better soon op

My migraines are caused by a bone in my spine slipping out of place..... Something a doctor may not pick up on. I always go to a chiropractor and get my spine realigned, which provides almost instantaneous relief. Maybe give that a shot.

In hindsight, out of all the advice I've gotten, I probably should have listened to yours. :P I just hit my 7-month-anniversary, and had a doctor's appointment for a wrenched shoulder? Turns out that my head is misaligned from the rest of my body by about an INCH, and it might be the underlying cause. :crosses fingers: I hope so. Then it can be fixed.

You didn't recently get braces on your teeth, did you? I suffered with constant migraines due to the braces on my teeth. Later in life they returned due to pinched nerves in my neck, which was alleviated by my chiropractor and massage therapist.

I can sympathize. I'm currently going through the same thing. I'm on month seven I think, I've lost track it's been so long since I've been pain free. I've had multiple trips to the hospital er and have been to the neurologist. Good luck finding the right treatment.

she replied to someone that her doctor has a line of stuff and not one has help her but tying out more

Theres a piercing on your ear you can get!

Hey OP, I used to get chronic migraines too, minimum of 2 a week and they knocked me out for a minimum of 2 days a time. I know this will probably sound pseudo-sciencey, but do you drink anything with aspartame in on the regular? I found out that was what was causing mine and as long as I don't drink it I don't get migraines any more! It's usually in diet sodas, but I've also recently found it in some non-diet sodas and squash. Might be worth a try, but if not I imagine your doctors and specialists know what they're doing. Good luck!