Idiots on bikes

By Anonymous - 09/05/2012 18:50 - United States - Castle Rock

Today, as I pulled to a halt at a stop sign, a cyclist ripped through the air, slammed straight into my fender, and almost launched over my car. I ended up being cited for reckless driving. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 833
You deserved it 2 331

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

He rear ended you... how the hell is it your fault? Don't they see the marks the cyclist must have left?

Agreed, if cyclists want to "share the road" they should be held accountable for their actions as much as regular motorists.

That's what I'm wondering. As I'm still learning to drive, I don't yet know all of the rules of driving... So how is this OP's fault? As a fellow biker, I know cars can purposefully stop at a slant so cyclists can't pass, but if a cyclist hits a car from the rear, can the driver be held accountable because of stopping suddenly? It's a stop sign, so you have to stop... And in which cases can a driver be held accountable for a cyclist hitting the driver from the rear? Lane switching right in front of a cyclist who then hits you? b/c on Fordham rd, and University ave in the Bronx, there are many times when a car just jumps into a lane in front of a cyclist and immediately double parks (making it nearly impossible to stop and impossible to stay in the lane, so the cyclist is forced to switch lanes) but who will be held accountable for that if the cyclist does hit the double parker? Where's the proof if the biker hit the car from the rear?

Ok, and I obviously don't know my car... According to a commenter, fender is the front, so the cyclist hit the car from the front at the side perpendicularly... So OP pulled too far out in the street instead of stopping at the stop sign properly... Different case there... But my above question still stands...

It isn't so much about the fault. It's more like who takes the most damage in the collision is innocent in many cases.

Well if that's the case, a cyclist will always take the most damage... So that means they are never wrong? I ride my bike to wrk and school as I have no far yet, and know to stay in my lane unless a car just decides to completely block it. I look before passing, and hate to go in a middle lane b/c I never go fast enough to not slow drivers down. I stick to the right side of the right lane in the bike lane (with the picture of a bike) and sometimes get honked or so closely passes that I move my left hand off the handle because I fear I'll be hit... But there are some cyclists who just ignore the world and tear through the street like they are stronger than any car that lived and dot even look before crossing intersections, even if it's not their green light... They would surely be at fault, right?

*as I have no car yet*... *Don't even look*

The fender is neither the front or the back... So he wasn't rear ended, and he wasn't hit from the front. The fender is the portion of the car that goes over, and partially covers the wheels. So he was hit from the side. This kind of case can only be determined by details. Of it's how I think it happened. It's OP's fault for not leaving enough room between him and the crossing lane. If it was from the rear tire, then the cyclist was obviously at fault, or OP is a terrible driver. So all you people who're trying to solve this. It's only able to be done with details.

You are wrong. If not I'm taking my truck and start slamming into little rice burners.

That's awful! Is there no way you can fight it? Oh and I hope the cyclist is all right.

florido_fml 10

Your lucky the guy was not a asshole and sued you for hitting him.

Read the FML again. The cyclist hit him.

It's on FML because OP DIDN'T hit the cyclist, but is being charged with it. If anything, OP should sue the cyclist for damages to their fender (if there are any).

florido_fml 10

The judge could easily believe the cyclist side of the story, so get your head out your ass because the world is not just black and white.

38 - The judge could also believe the driver's story. Take your own advice ;)

Hey 38 you smell that? I think you just got BURNED

florido_fml 10

Get off my reply area haha lol smily face

IdfkMyUsernamexC 5
sillycart 9

Lolololol you must be under the age of 15. *rolls eyes at the gratuitous amounts of immaturity*

I just took my first driving lesson today,so all I know is you have to leave a space for the bikes that is this square or line by the lights when you stop. Did the bike come from here? Sorry if this is stupid but i'm a road virgin lol

soniar226 0

Sorry, I feel bad for you. I've been in so many incidents where I'm sitting in the Passenger seat and we switch lanes because a cyclist is taking up all the room. Or in other occasians where there is nearly a car crash because of a cyclists' recklessness.

Gothicbunnyx3 16

I'd love to hear the cyclists story in court. "Well I was just peddling along and then this car that was stopped at a stop sign and so that's how I ran into him."

Maybe the car looked like a pig and the cyclist is a Angry birds fanatic.