Honest mistake

By Luke - 19/03/2013 09:59 - United States - Liverpool

Today, my department found out that we're getting a new supervisor for the third time this month. I joked about how we're like "the foster kid nobody wants." One of my coworkers burst into tears and ran off. I later found out that she had been a foster child and never once had a stable home. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 506
You deserved it 30 127

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Perhaps it's because her ENTIRE childhood was terrible because she had no parents, no home, no one to give her love and support... You think maybe that's why?

Well, both FYL and YDI. You had no way of knowing that, but shouldn't say things like that around people you don't know well.

Comments

You probably shouldn't have chosen such a rash comparison but its not your fault, apologize with some roses and make up for it?

Telling those sort of jokes around people you don't know personally is basically like playing social Russian Roulette.

...with the gun aimed at someone else's head. You need to perform a severe ego check before you screw up even worse!!!

collegegirl17 8

FYL. It sucks it upset them, but you really shouldn't have to be politically correct just because some people are offended. You were just making a joke. Hope the person is ok and doesn't hold anything against you

Yikes... no way you could've known about that, OP. Still, you should probably apologize even if you didn't mean to make her upset. Good luck with that.

similar thing happened to me, I was 17, a family member died over the weekend, my friends knew, everyone in class was quiet and teacher walked in and said "who died?" obviously not knowing, everyone gasped and looked at me and teacher realised straight away and was very apologetic! kind of different to OP's situation as i was just a kid and it was fresh but I didn't run away crying.

imani132 6

Ouch... I hope you at least apologized and talked to her. Who knows? Could've changed her a little for the better

It's hard living in an unstable house... Things always just fall part, but maybe it's in the way it was built or foundation or something. (please excuse the horrible sarcasm and the pun that was no better)

ileenefudge 29

Ydi. As a former foster child myself, I know what it feels like to be moved from family to family and it feels like you don't fit in because at school your friends live with their birth parents and you don't. You do feel like you are not wanted at times when you are placed in another home constantly. It does make you feel alone, and I hated that feeling, especially when kids at school made fun of me by saying my birth parents didn't want me. It's not something to joke about because you never know who was in the system and who wasn't unless they say so, and many children don't have a good family that will keep them till they are 18. The foster system sucks, and it's not something to joke about.

Wtf why so many YDI trolls on this? How the **** was this person supposed to know that? And coming from a person who has been in the foster kid that nobody wants situation, this wasn't that bad at all. I probably would have laughed. People need to grow some backbone and lighten up a little, jesus.

That person needs to learn not to be so damn touchy.