Honest mistake

By Luke - 19/03/2013 09:59 - United States - Liverpool

Today, my department found out that we're getting a new supervisor for the third time this month. I joked about how we're like "the foster kid nobody wants." One of my coworkers burst into tears and ran off. I later found out that she had been a foster child and never once had a stable home. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 506
You deserved it 30 127

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Perhaps it's because her ENTIRE childhood was terrible because she had no parents, no home, no one to give her love and support... You think maybe that's why?

Well, both FYL and YDI. You had no way of knowing that, but shouldn't say things like that around people you don't know well.

Comments

Tell her you weren't joking at all, because you are ALSO an unloved foster child. Then take her out to Olive Garden for SSBS... should smooth things over.

I honestly can't say you deserved it, OP. There's no way you could have known, but I guess the best thing to do in this situation is to apologize to the girl in case you offended her :/

perdix 29

You'd better hope she's not a "Foster the People" Child and you have to try to outrun her gun.

dixiefoxx 22

How the hell is he a massive dick? There's no way he could've known about his co-workers life.

I don't think it was a YDI, since there was no way of knowing

clue_me_in 20

Well, all you can do is apologize and not say it again. Buy her some flowers or something.

monnanon 13

so you made a joke about your situation and a co worker (whos history you did not know) got upset? yup your blameless in this you werent to know. an apology and smoothing over of the situation will make work easier for the both of you.

you're not a mind reader nor physic stuff happens (:

VampTat 10

*psychic. physic(s) is a type of science.

Though you're not quite wrong, apologize. It'll do you both some good. Can't call this a YDI cause you had no way of knowing that.

Not your fault OP. your coworker should get some help to get beyond it, its obviously still a problem for them. You can't be responsible for everyone's unresolved childhood issues.