Everyone's an expert

By whatever mom - 23/07/2020 14:02

Today, my mother scolded me for undressing my son and giving him Tylenol to break his fever. She insisted I wrap him in several layers to increase his body temperature in order to let him "sweat the fever out." I’m married to a pediatrician. My mom didn’t finish high school. She swears we're wrong. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 183
You deserved it 154

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That, surprisingly, is an old wives tale that is actually completely false. It's important to remember that fever by itself is not an illness — it's usually a sign or symptom of another problem, usually an infection of some sort. A fever helps the body fight infections by stimulating natural defense mechanisms. Having a high fever and then being overdressed to 'sweat it out' can make the child dehydrated very quickly and overdressing/overbundling a child or infant will just elevate their temperature even more and wont help them break their fever faster, it just makes the fever more dangerous and uncomfortable for the child. Sure, your temperature might go down a bit through sweating but the cause of the fever is the actual issue and the fever wont go away until the level of infection has gone down. Its suggested that a much more effective way to bring down a fever is to run a lukewarm bath for the person/child instead to bring down their body temperature. At dangerous levels, a high enough temperature can result in brain damage and even death. im not even married to a pead yet i know this shit.. but being married to one is actually probably pretty handy and im glad this OP listens to someone who has a medical degree.

TCRII 29

I think I would listen to the doctor over the high school dropout. When your mother starts to act crazy come after her with leeches and a trepanning drill.

Comments

*Surprisingly*, being married to one doesn't make you one, I'd say. And to tell the truth, "sweat the fever out" is one of the most usual remedies for fever I've ever seen, and yep, it actually works...

That, surprisingly, is an old wives tale that is actually completely false. It's important to remember that fever by itself is not an illness — it's usually a sign or symptom of another problem, usually an infection of some sort. A fever helps the body fight infections by stimulating natural defense mechanisms. Having a high fever and then being overdressed to 'sweat it out' can make the child dehydrated very quickly and overdressing/overbundling a child or infant will just elevate their temperature even more and wont help them break their fever faster, it just makes the fever more dangerous and uncomfortable for the child. Sure, your temperature might go down a bit through sweating but the cause of the fever is the actual issue and the fever wont go away until the level of infection has gone down. Its suggested that a much more effective way to bring down a fever is to run a lukewarm bath for the person/child instead to bring down their body temperature. At dangerous levels, a high enough temperature can result in brain damage and even death. im not even married to a pead yet i know this shit.. but being married to one is actually probably pretty handy and im glad this OP listens to someone who has a medical degree.

very very bad advice! it probably won't harm the kid (unless he gets dehydrated due to sweating) but absolutely no evidence that this helps. LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR!

Being married to one means the kids other parent is a pediatrician and this other parent with medical degree has approved undressing and giving Tylenol. As of anecdotal evidence, my husband uses this sweating the fever out as a remedy but it has never worked for me, so chances that this works are 50:50.

Win 9

No, 50:50 is you getting extremely lucky! One of your body’s natural response to fight a virus is to basically “burn it up” and it raises its temperature in that attempt. If a high fever persists too long, it can cause organ damage or death as imagine, your inside organs cannot handle that “heat wave” for too long. You cannot control the internal heat but “adding more heat” is just going to complicate things & can cause the immune system to go out of control and get “overheated”. So NO NO NO, do NOT do that. The only time sauna or other stuff is even remotely mentioned is if you DONT HAVE A HIGH FEVER to begin with. If you’re feeling “sick” without fever, you may then try because your inner body isn’t already on fire. Imagine it like a car, at some point the engine will blow up if it gets overheated and if you keep pressing on the gas, you’re adding to the “blowing up” happening sooner. Our bodies are not perfect, they keep us alive from a lot of things but when an occasional high fever hits, that’s a sign that the body is having trouble sustaining. And the immune system of kids is not as developed as an adults’ and we know that with science, so often our body needs help - and in this case, cool it down as it continues to do its work killing off whatever has infected it.

I am pretty sure that she meant that she got her remedy from her husband the paediatrician. I would also trust a trained doctor over you or her know-it-all wannabe of a mother

TCRII 29

I think I would listen to the doctor over the high school dropout. When your mother starts to act crazy come after her with leeches and a trepanning drill.

Your body becomes febrile to fight disease. Lowering the fever with drugs just helps the germs. Your husband probably learned that in med school, but you mom really knows it.

Sady_Ct 37

Most of his posts are troll posts

Yeah, he's a frequent-flyer troll. So I think that would make him a gremlin? Seriously, that's not "sweating it out," that's "cooking your kid."

your mom is right that you should let the fever run its course. It’s the body‘s natural defense against viruses and infections. When you break the fever you break the defense. give him Tylenol for the slightest fever is old-fashioned doctors advice. A lot of pediatricians don’t recommend that anymore. Sounds like your husband should update his practices

a fever is a sign of illness not a defense mechanism and low dose Tylenol over a short period like 3 days will not harm anybody it can't actually prevent brain damage unless you happen to have a rare allergy

bloopaloop 27

All the doctors on fml sure have differing opinions. WHO DO BELIEVE???

Yummi_913 18

Every time I have a bad fever and feel aching and ill I usually take a steaming hot shower to "sweat it out". It works for me. But that being said, I would NOT go that route with a young child. I go the Tylenol route with my own. High fevers can be fatal when they're really young and I'm not about to chance that. I had my financé try the shower thing just a few months ago and it worked for him, but I don't think I'll suggest it for our little one at all, and if for some reason I do she'll be at least 16 (which is how old I was when I started doing it). Stick to your partner's advice.

Win 9

You are exposing your body to a short period of time + your immune system is more robust than a child’s but I will say that is still dangerous. Have you tried a lukewarm shower to see if you had similar effects? I wonder if your body was coincidently done fighting the virus so it was in the process of lowering the temperature to begin with.

I mean she’s not wrong that’s exactly what majority of American American people do. I still follow this procedure to this day.

Depends on how high the fever is, I usually try to keep him calm and hydrated while his body fights it off. Once it gets really high or bothers him, I'll give tylenol and a room temperature bath. I would NEVER bundle up a feverish baby.

Her next advice will be don’t vaccinate your kids or all Will have autism, and don’t drive too far or you’ll fall off the edge of the earth.