By oldmold - 23/7/2020 17:01

Extreme cooking

Today, my husband and I got into a huge argument. He called me wasteful for throwing out old food. He insisted that you can simply pick the mold off and the food was perfectly fine. He’s going to kill our kids. FML
Add a comment
You must be logged in to be able to post comments!
Create my account Sign in
Top comments
By  rebelwithmouseyhair  |  16

Actually it depends on the food. If it's meat or fish, you chuck it out at the slightest suspicion of it being off. Cheese, you can just cut the mould off and eat the rest, it's absolutely fine.
Fruit, you can eat even the rotting parts. A Belgian writer, Amélie Nothomb, swears by this and has eaten mouldy fruit on TV to prove it. She published a new book just recently so it hasn't killed her yet.

By  Bogrbon  |  19

Bread is another bad one. Basically it depends on if the mold can get inside, so porous or liquid foods (like sauces, breads) the mold can get in. Hard foods like cheeses, not so much. And some places they’ll even “age” venison and let mold grow on the outside before slicing it off and cooking it. (Sounds revolting to me, but if people have done it, it must not be lethal).

A lot of food spoilage is about it being unpleasant to eat long before it’s hazardous. However, when in doubt throw it out because: first, who wants to eat something that tastes like shit, even if it’s okay, and second, if you’re not a microbiologist, how do you know if it will kill you or just “give it more flavor.”

COMMENTS
By  rebelwithmouseyhair  |  16

Actually it depends on the food. If it's meat or fish, you chuck it out at the slightest suspicion of it being off. Cheese, you can just cut the mould off and eat the rest, it's absolutely fine.
Fruit, you can eat even the rotting parts. A Belgian writer, Amélie Nothomb, swears by this and has eaten mouldy fruit on TV to prove it. She published a new book just recently so it hasn't killed her yet.

By  Bogrbon  |  19

Bread is another bad one. Basically it depends on if the mold can get inside, so porous or liquid foods (like sauces, breads) the mold can get in. Hard foods like cheeses, not so much. And some places they’ll even “age” venison and let mold grow on the outside before slicing it off and cooking it. (Sounds revolting to me, but if people have done it, it must not be lethal).

A lot of food spoilage is about it being unpleasant to eat long before it’s hazardous. However, when in doubt throw it out because: first, who wants to eat something that tastes like shit, even if it’s okay, and second, if you’re not a microbiologist, how do you know if it will kill you or just “give it more flavor.”

Reply
  Hangryko  |  16

No, even if one mould spot is visible, the whole loaf could then be spoiled and needs to be thrown out. Just because you don't see the mould everywhere doesn't mean it isn't there.

Reply
  Mathalamus  |  24

There’s nothing wrong with tossing out the whole thing, if it’s moody. It can spread and it isn’t visible all the time. If it’s bad, toss it. No exceptions.

By  Charlie Given  |  22

Umm ok this is a complicated argument certain meats and cheeses can be eaten when they have started to go bad.(except processed meats ,breads, and dairy; like lunch or ground meat or canned cheese. they already contain preservatives so if it went bad it's bad) but thick cut beef or a block of cheese you can cut off the bad sections and eat the still good parts and it'll be aged and delicious ,but most seafood or poultry after 30 minutes of setting out (raw or cooked) needs to be tossed don't refrigerate, thou there are some exceptions like tuna or shark. also avoid any mold that is black, red or dark gray those are toxic molds and will contaminate the entire product and possibly even other food items near it. now when it comes to old fruits and vegetables if they have mold toss them, if they're soft or bruised they're still fine to eat. thou there are exceptions don't eat any sort of old corn, berries, broccoli cauliflower or mushrooms and if they have already been cooked toss it. but if you want a more detailed explanation that you can print out and hand to your husband go to the FDA website and look up the food borne illnesses safety recommendations.

By  sarkycow  |  25

This sounds like my husband, with the exception being that if I throw something out he doesn't get pissed off\angry etc. We often joke about the different types of penicillin growing in our fridge! 😄 it doesn't bother me, he's not forcing me to eat it, or complaining. He is in his mid-70s so I think if it was going to kill him it would have by now! lol

If it becomes such an issue with you two then buy a mini fridge and put the stuff that you won't eat (and\or that you would throw out). Tell him the stuff inside it is all his, that you and your kids won't be eating from it.