Enough!

By pissed off - 02/07/2014 21:52 - United Kingdom - Milton Keynes

Today, my dad finished installing our new home security system. One of the features lets him control any light in the house from his phone. He keeps trying to piss me off by turning my bedroom light on at random intervals. I don't know how to make it stop, and I can't sleep. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 870
You deserved it 4 958

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Every time he does it go to the main circuit breaker and flip it, then go back to bed. All power in the house will be out, he will have to get up to turn it on and reset all the flashing clocks, he will very quickly get sick of doing it. No damage done and though there may be an argument involved he can't claim the moral high ground.

Comments

Or hit up the fuse box, mess with his ass!

Every time he does it go to the main circuit breaker and flip it, then go back to bed. All power in the house will be out, he will have to get up to turn it on and reset all the flashing clocks, he will very quickly get sick of doing it. No damage done and though there may be an argument involved he can't claim the moral high ground.

Some people just don't have problem solving skills.

How many idiots does it take to unscrew a lightbulb?

pwnman 33

Depends on what bulb it is. Some can be dangerous while taking some off when it's on.

But don't tell him you are doing that. Just tell him you slept well.

it's likely something installed on the light switch....if you really wanted to mess with things you could see if there was some sort of controller back there and try to bypass it. ...other than that, fuse box is your best bet.

CelticSkye 13

Seriously, just unscrew the light bulb.

Agreed. Unscrewing it is the best solution. Anyone can reset the breaker, but at least your room is likely able to be locked so that no one can screw the bulb back in as you sleep.

And they'll save money on their power bill

Unscrewing the bulb stops him in the moment but he will still continue to mess with you. Make it as annoying for him as it is for you and he will stop.

Octwo 16

if you really want to get him back you just need to run the power from your light to a siren in his room. Next time he turns it on in the middle of the night he'll get a surprise.

Unscrewing the bulb was the first thought on my list too. My Dad had wired a couple of the new light switches when remodeling in a similar manner. My sympathies.

I was about to say turn the fuse box off but then saw your comment. Smart idea though

#56 Definitely not the one in your profile pic...

My dad did the same thing to me! Figure out how to disable it.

Maybe OP has some kind of control panel in their room. Smash the damn thing and be done with the father's nonsense.

Yeah what a great idea, let's all break our security systems

That would be fairly dangerous for a security control panel or an electrical panel to be in a bedroom. Op should probably take his dad's phone and see if there is a way to reprogram which lights his dad can control. I doubt it would allow Op to do it from the phone but it might help him figure out how to fix this problem...good luck Op!

or unsrew the bulb at night. problem solved. and he'll stop trying to mess with you when he sees it not working.

Or if you feel like going to the 'complex' stuff just invest in a nice sleep mask

Get his phone and switch the names for his and your room so he gets a taste of his own artificially fruit flavored medicine that tastes absolutely NOTHING like said fruit but is only there to lull kids into false sense of security as they eagerly drink the recommended dose of 'cherry' flavored medicine, only to be present at the mass murdering of his taste buds..... That was off topic....sorry

Hide his phone and delete whatever controls that. If you can't just talk to him and tell him why it bothers you, maybe he'll stop

Find a way to exact your revenge. Shave off his mustache when he's asleep or put mashed potato mix in his shower head. The possibilities are endless...

Asking him to stop would be more effective here. If OP tries to take revenge than his dad can just ground him or continue to piss him off.

Or it would strengthen their father-son bond as they bond while they exact revengeful pranks on one another

World_Burner 13

Am I the only one still stuck at mashed potato mix? Who the **** thinks of that?!? lol

I don't know who'd do that. We put koolaid mix in the showerhead.

That's sucks OP, take out the light bulb? Or find out how to control the lights from your phone?!

Wear an eye mask or take a shit in the vent in his room.

This is one of the only times I'm okay with that phrase.

Yes. Why would there be any other option?

You could always combine them and wear an eyemask whilst ******** in his vent. Not sure how good your aim will be, but it'll make it more of a challenge for you.

killthedead 13

Is the vent on the floor or something because I'm used to seeing air vents on the ceiling

World_Burner 13

#93, either or/both. Depends on the location of the furnace (attic/crawl space) and if vertical (like in a closet), the direction of airflow.

#105 okay, thanks for clarifying that I didn't look at the location at first and I'm only used to seeing ceiling vents.

take out the bulb and go buy a cheap lamp he can not control.

If it goes in a socket he can control it

If it plugs into a socket it's most likely going to have a switch on it, as long as the switch is off the dad can't do shit to it.