By JC - 19/10/2009 06:40 - United States

Today, I was driving down the road when a dog suddenly runs across the street. In attempt to spare its life, I swerved to the side of the road and rear-ended another car. The car I hit belonged the family that owned the dog. Now I have to pay them because I saved their dog's life. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 335
You deserved it 5 953

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You know what they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

That's like the other day I swerved to avoid hitting a squirrel right as another squirrel ran under my tire. Except I didn't have to pay damages to the original squirrel.

Comments

You know what they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

Hey, their car was in your way, i say double-counter sue! FYL.

inconvienentgurl 0

its just counter sue o.0 n u shouldnt have to pay 4 saving the dogs life where was their car n where did u swerve? for 1 they would be in it 4 having their dog out in the street n u having to swerve to miss it!

YDI. There's these things called brakes. They work pretty well and if you're not blind as a bat or retarded, they actually prevent these things from happening.

I have no idea what #58 is trying to say.

OnTheSaneSide 0

Yeah because breaks stop you instantaneously... You travel a little bit further, and if the dog was RIGHT in front of the car they would have to change direction to avoid it.

americayay 0

He's not paying for saving the dog's life. He's paying because he's not a good defensive driver in the sense that he can't find a way to avoid hitting the dog AND another car. From the context, it seems like he was in a neighborhood, in which case, he should have been going slow enough to just stop anyway. Either way OP, you hit their car and you're at fault. You SHOULD pay for the damages. And if the dog was RIGHT in front of the car, changing direction would have taken them just as far forward as slamming on the brakes.

soundgarden84 0

Well, sometimes houses face major streets. We don't know whether it was a closed residential area. If it was facing a major street and he was traveling the speed limit at about 45mph...then I don't think he/she is completely at fault.

the_stereotype 0

you can't really countersue, because the law sucks. apparently, you can't swerve to avoid hitting the dog if there's another car. i don't get why people can't learn to keep their dogs on a ******* leash.

I don't know if you can counter-sue but you can definatly win at a trial without a doubt

As old as this FML is... Some insurances have a "dumb animal clause." Which usually means if you swerve to miss or brake for an animal and cause damage to either your car or others, it's still their fault. This clause would still make it OP's fault though.

That's like the other day I swerved to avoid hitting a squirrel right as another squirrel ran under my tire. Except I didn't have to pay damages to the original squirrel.

...ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is the dead squirrel. These squirrels live in the woods. But this squirrel was on the road when he was hit by the car. Now think about it; that does not make sense! Nobody can beat mr Cochran, miss mercy esq

he.. he's not undead... what a rude way to talk about black people!

We, the judge, jury and executive executioner; find the defendant guilty on the charges of killing a black, dead as well as undead squirrel AND speeding. Please pay the squirrel family the same amount a rat costs at your closest pet store or face jailtime!

weavermycutecat 0

why the heck was the dog outside of the car?! you SHOULD NOT have to pay! its THEIR fault!

don't they teach people not to swerve? for exact reasons like this? what if someone had been there you dumbass, oh and PS, use your brakes, they made them for a reason

Uhh thats why you are TAUGHT not to swerve. Just don't swerve (without looking) by instinct. My friend never learned this lesson, and hence when she swerved to miss a dog, she hit the kid running after it.

Right..when you're driving at a certain speed, even stepping on the brakes as hard as you can sometimes won't stop in time. OP swerved to save the dog's life..

So? Hitting the dog wouldn't cost any money. Yes, it would have been sad, but you wouldn't have to worry about repairs and insurance premiums.

Wow....killing an animal vs. paying premium. Money over life? I can understand animal vs own life/other person, but seriously - money trumps dogs life? ........

That1One1Chick 24

Yes. It is very sad and horrible but it's the better thing to do. You just hit the brakes and close your eyes. You never swerve. OP could have swerved too hard, flipped the car and lost their own life. It is really stupid so FYL OP sorry

People don't have enough time to think through these situations. They happen too fast. FYL.

"Bob Barker here saying control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutered."

lneely 0

catering to that family's irresponsibility? sorry, but ydi. ;p

Chicostick 0

Bah, if the dog had run out in the road the best thing to do would have been hit the brakes and hope he doesn't get injured to badly. If their dog is so badly trained that it runs out into the road, they should have had it on a leash. I hate people who expect others to conform around their badly trained dogs. They're not robots, they're animals, you have to teach them how to behave.

This. One of my neighbors adopted a young Australian sheep dog a few months ago, and I nearly hit the thing twice in the span of 2 weeks. It ran out in front of cars all the time. I haven't seen it in a while, so either they keep it inside or it's dead. Most likely dead.

I have to agree. While I don't want to see a dog injured or killed, By swerving you could have hit a person or injured yourself. I know it's an instinctive reaction, but try to learn from the experience. So, FYL this time. If a dog does it once, they will probably do it again until the owners do something to fix the problem.

We tried to train our dog well to stay out of the streets. However, she didn't grasp it until she got hit. And by hit I mean she got a really bad headache. Turned her into a giant sissy about the road in front of us lol but hey, works I guess. She was fine, car was fine, driver was fine, we're all fine. And now she listens very carefully to us. It's like children.

skyeyez9 24

in some states if you are in an accident cause of a loose dog, the dogs owner is responsible. At the very least file a complaint against their loose dog.

Pay them, take the dog, sell the dog.