Casual hate speech

By coveredupforfun - 04/02/2015 03:13 - Canada - Ottawa

Today, I saw my coworker write about how awful Muslims were and how the religion is stupid, the hijab is oppressive, and how they're a poison on society. When I questioned them about it, they pretty much said that I didn't know anything and should stop talking. I'm Muslim and a hijabi. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 062
You deserved it 6 181

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Racist language in the workplace is something people can get fired over. Show this writing to your boss and get their ignorant ass written up.

Some people are just way too ignorant :/

Comments

But...you're in Canada... If they don't apologise, shouldn't they be deported? And apologised to? Seriously though, idiots have, do and will persist as a pathogen. At least they sound stupid enough to not be taken seriously by anyone except morons of equivalent ignorance.

bluebluhblou 15

I'm actually going through the same thing. it really frustrates me that people seem to think that they know better about your culture and beliefs more than you do. It's very prejudiced and rather illogical.

I think it's fair to say that they might know your culture better as it appears to the rest of the world, since both sides are, to an extent, blind to the other's perspective, regardless of how understanding you may be, it's just the way you work psychologically. But that doesn't justify bigotry or slander.

Unfortunately Islam is responsible for a disproportionate amount of violence in the world at the moment between Boko Haram, Isis, Al Queda and Hamas, amongst others in the world today. We do need to be able to have this discussion without portraying Muslims in general as bad people or terrorists.

Although that is just what gets reported - there have been horrific violence in India, Orissa by Hindus against Christians and Myanmer is a Buddhist country with terrible human rights. There is the Sabra and Shatila massacre against Muslims by Christians.

There are crazy people everywhere. I think the media focuses on what's profitable to focus on at a given time, so we hear more about one thing than another constantly. For the most part, I think the craziness is about even everywhere.

These tend to be more isolated, localized occurances on a far smaller scale though.

bluebluhblou 15

this might be true, however I have noticed that a lot of people seem to base their prejudice off of one side and completely ignore the other. As a Muslim myself, I do understand where they are coming from, since most, if not all of the knowledge they have abut Muslims or any other group of people comes from the media and news. I really do wish that people would stop forming impressions on entire groups of people based on a minority, because it makes it so much more difficult for the greater innocent majority of that certain group to have a normal life with so much hate following them

I do agree with you that labelling entire groups of people based on the actions of a few is madness. The vast majority of Muslims are going about their lives just like everyone else trying to make sense of this crazy planet we call home.

Speak American or go back to your shitty sand country

Even if this is a joke you're a disgusting waste of life

There's no such language as 'American'. It's 'English', and judging by that, all Americans are immigrants. Maybe you should come back to your shitty rain country. Actually, no, don't. We don't want you.

if people are born in america they are american, their family may be immigrants but if they were born in the us they arent immigrants. And #21 is a racist jerk.

This is that stupid movie, American Sniper's, fault

Are you retarded or are you trolling? How on earth does a movie depicting the life of an American hero have anything to do with some hatred at an office in Canada?

volvagia720 6

It's hard to sympathise with a religion whose holy test says that it's your religious duty to murder me and all my friends.

I'd like to know what religion you and your friends believe in then. As far as I am informed, only those that pray to multiple gods should be either killed or converted. Since there only is one god, those who pray to him pray to the same god, just under a different name. No killing required.

thebestofboth 20

How are you "a hijab"? a hijab is a head covering.

I think it is a term Muslims use for women who wear Hijabs. A hijabi :)

If you read the FML properly you'd have seen it says "hijabi", meaning someone who wears the hijab.

Remember in school when 1 or 2 kids were naughty and the whole class was kept behind, this is how Muslims feel.

The problem is with who gets the press coverage, people do not watch news programs where people are building baby hospitals, they watch the news of people blowing up busses. If it bleeds it leads, I believe is the expression. Take this as an opportunity to prove this person wrong, obviously they are not doing their own research. Maybe you can be the change the world needs.