By ilovekids? - 12/12/2015 02:05 - United States - Commack

Today, while I was working at a supermarket, a kid started to cry in line because he couldn't get candy. Since we have free lollipops behind the desk, I gave him one. His mom complained to my manager and said I was grooming her child. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 103
You deserved it 5 996

Same thing different taste

Top comments

While the mom overreacted, she may have had a reason for not giving him candy. Better safe than sorry and ask.

You are kind of encouraging brattiness when you do that. YDI

Comments

If the mom doesn't want her kid to have candy don't give him candy. All that's gonna do is teach him that "If mom says no all I have to do is cry and strangers will give me what I want"

kid shouldnt take candy from strangers anyways

This is a very YDI/FML situation, hard to pick a side, but I'd like to know people's reasons for one.

oelfke 5

the parent doesnt need a reason it's her child and if she doesn't want them to have candy then they don't need it. everyone parents in their own way and it's no one elses plces to judge

****. That. There are good ways and bad ways to parent. I know from experience that my mom would always use that "it's my child" excuse when she whipped the hell out of me in public for minor bullshit like sneaking a cookie. Just because it's your child doesn't mean you can just do whatever the hell you want just because it's legal.

I believe the whole 'it's their child' to a point. Obviously if they are abusing their child or something, people should step in. But this is a lollipop. As others stated, op just reinforced that the kid crying will get him candy as well as the candy being from a stranger. It also completely ignores the child's mother and her rules, which might make the child think they can just ignore her.

She just misunderstood what you were doing, I work in a child minding/play area place and you should see how overprotective parents are and judgey , its ridiculous, you did nothing wrong!

Because parents shouldn't be able to make their own decision about what to give and how to raise their child...?

While I agree that parents can be way overprotective and judgey, if you work with children you should really see why this was not a great idea on OP's part.

The kid shouldn't be rewarded for his bad behavior.

Over-reaction on her part, no doubt about it. At the same time, I can understand her being frustrated that you did that. You never know why parents are saying no to their kids. there could be allergies, dietary problems, or medical procedures that require limited food intake - or maybe they just don't want to give their kids crap to eat whenever they ask for it. Best bet is to try to discreetly ask if its okay in the future, so the kiddo doesn't go full meltdown if they hear their parent say no. :)

Or maybe they just don't have enough money to buy the candy...

SuperMew 22

How embarrassing to suggest someone is too poor to buy treats for their child. I know Op meant well, but offering sweets when the parent said no is not going to end well. Either the parents doesn't want to buy the candy for some reason or lacks the funds to do it. It would be horrifying for someone to point that out then undermine my parenting like that. Better to just not offer.

Voted YLS as the mother did overreact, however I get pissed when strangers give my daughter sweets, especially without my consent. But she deffo went too far IMO

Britt125 16

Well, I mean you don't know why she didn't want him to have candy or what she's trying to teach him. Nothing wrong with offering it, but you should always ask the parent(s) first so you don't overstep their parenting. You also don't know if they have allergies or anything and you could just give them something they can't have because it could kill them, pretty upsetting as a kid to think you're getting candy and then have it taken from you. So I get where the mom was coming from, I think taking it to management was probably unnecessary but I don't blame her for being bothered by it.

Well it's not grooming. That's calculated and it happens gradually over a period of time. Still shouldn't give random kids sweets though, especially if there patent had just told them no. Maybe she was well aware that you weren't grooming the child but wanted to punish you for undermining her?

Should have asked her first. However, she overreacted with the pedophile part.

Op was trying to keep a child from having a meltdown in line, likely for the benefit of all the customers and other employees around. While op should have talked to the parent first, the parent/guardian insinuated that op was potentially interested in the child in an inappropriate way ("grooming" said child to take things from strangers). If it was something like a food allergy, a responsible parent/guardian would have stepped in and immediately removed the lollipop. Op was trying to keep everything calm, and there was no reason to claim that he was "grooming" a child, though op likely should have asked the parent first. Hope there was no issue with your manager, op!