By schoolsucks - 10/03/2015 14:45 - United States - Aurora

Today, the principal of the school I teach at told me she's not interested in re-hiring me because sometimes I wear a hoodie. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 541
You deserved it 6 297

TeachAllTheMath tells us more.

TeachAllTheMath 19

OP here, two years later I am still working at the same school (in my beloved hoodies). The principal that told me this was not renewed for the following year, so luckily our head of school valued competent teachers over well dressed ones. I work at a charter school who encourages teachers to dress comfortably so we can go outside to play soccer, or get on the floor to do small groups, and I was in “dress code” according to the crew handbook, the principal was just a snob.

Top comments

It's a shame that people like this are in charge of hiring those teaching others.

It depends on the context. If the OP works in a private school, then maybe they are preferred wearing uniforms. Sometimes some schools want more professional outfits. :/ I'm sorry for the job loss.

Comments

It's not what's on your back, that matters. It's what's inside your heart and mind that should concern her. And she is out there shaping young minds. You gotta wonder how many kids in her school were judged by her in the same way, and if there were adverse effects as a result

its because she thinks your too cool for school

Wearing a hoodie to work is a pretty good indicator that you lack maturity and professionalism. There may be more behind the principal's decision she is saying. Good luck in your job search!

rocker_chick23 27

How is it a lack of maturity and professionalism? Hoodies are comfortable, and a good thing to wear when it is cold, but to warm to wear a heavy coat. Is my SIL who is a doctor, not mature enough since she wears a hoodie when she goes to work?

Really just depends on the type of doctor she is. If she mostly wears scrubs a hoodie is an appropriate pairing for that, as it is easily washable and inexpensive to replace if stained. If she works in an office and is generally expected to dress professionally, a hoodie is a not a good choice.

rocker_chick23 27

She works at the county hospital near me. It is a small hospital and lets you wear a hoodie as long as it won't distract them from doing their job or offensive to the patients

TeachAllTheMath 19

You sound like the principal- who lost her job lol!

If attire was a problem she should've stated so at the beginning of your working there. At least in my opinion that would make more sense...

Rosebudx 32

I was a substitute for various school districts in my (extremely rural) area, and the only times the staff was allowed to wear hoodies was during special occasions, such as Spirit Week or College Week. Even on Jeans Day, the staff had to pay to wear jeans and were still not allowed to wear hooded sweatshirts, though non-hooded were acceptable if they were from the school (much like t-shirts). Teachers are professionals. You aren't going to walk into a law office and find all the paralegals, secretaries, and lawyers wearing sweatpants, are you? No. Why, then, should teachers be allowed to do that?

Britt125 16

Well, if you're wearing it while teaching and they have a dress code against it, unfortunately YDI. While I don't agree that teachers shouldn't be able to wear things like hoodies, if you're working where it's in the dress code that you can't whether you like it or not you need to follow it. But if it's not against anything in the dress code then FYL.

I have zero issues with you wearing a hoodie, for the record. But in the interest of your employment did you try apologizing and promising to dress more professionally next semester?

Um... just wow. Maybe you look to much like a student. that's just crazy...

Depends if you're union or not? I'm not sure if all public school teachers are in the union, I went to private school, staff and faculty there were not in the union.

I guess the prinicpal doesn't just **** over students. sorry to hear.