By schoolsucks - 10/03/2015 14:45 - United States - Aurora

Today, the principal of the school I teach at told me she's not interested in re-hiring me because sometimes I wear a hoodie. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 541
You deserved it 6 297

TeachAllTheMath tells us more.

TeachAllTheMath 19

OP here, two years later I am still working at the same school (in my beloved hoodies). The principal that told me this was not renewed for the following year, so luckily our head of school valued competent teachers over well dressed ones. I work at a charter school who encourages teachers to dress comfortably so we can go outside to play soccer, or get on the floor to do small groups, and I was in “dress code” according to the crew handbook, the principal was just a snob.

Top comments

It's a shame that people like this are in charge of hiring those teaching others.

It depends on the context. If the OP works in a private school, then maybe they are preferred wearing uniforms. Sometimes some schools want more professional outfits. :/ I'm sorry for the job loss.

Comments

To be fair, if you've been told about this before, or if the school you teach at expects a little formality from their teachers, YDI. I know that if any teacher at my school wore anything other than a shirt and tie or a fairly formal dress, they would be out the gates like that.

hoodies = evil. Just ask Travon Martin. he's the dude Zimmerman killed because he had a hoodie..

Teachers are usually expected to dress professionally, so I am not surprised. Maybe invest in something not that casual.

Two things. First, as for dress code, I didn't see if anybody considered if the hoodie or hoodies in question were related to the school. Say if OP was a coach, they might have that sport represented. Some schools and some districts allow their teachers to wear spirit wear, which could include hoodies, both on Fridays, but also for special occasions, like a pep rally. Second, there are some states that a union does not do anything and it does not make sense to join a union at all unless you want the insurance. In other states joining a union is required. It depends on where OP is teaching.

You work in a professional field. Not only should you conduct your actions in such a manner fitting for such a job you should dress for the job too. This is your own fault and you should not be blaming her.

Didn't you know teachers are supposed to be perfect at all times and in any situation? This is one of many reasons I left the education field-too much BS.

Is this because it is in the hood... Or?

It would suck even more if you were a gym teacher.