By schoolsucks - 10/03/2015 14:45 - United States - Aurora

Today, the principal of the school I teach at told me she's not interested in re-hiring me because sometimes I wear a hoodie. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 541
You deserved it 6 297

TeachAllTheMath tells us more.

TeachAllTheMath 19

OP here, two years later I am still working at the same school (in my beloved hoodies). The principal that told me this was not renewed for the following year, so luckily our head of school valued competent teachers over well dressed ones. I work at a charter school who encourages teachers to dress comfortably so we can go outside to play soccer, or get on the floor to do small groups, and I was in “dress code” according to the crew handbook, the principal was just a snob.

Top comments

It's a shame that people like this are in charge of hiring those teaching others.

It depends on the context. If the OP works in a private school, then maybe they are preferred wearing uniforms. Sometimes some schools want more professional outfits. :/ I'm sorry for the job loss.

Comments

Wow. Sorry this wound under the wrong comment. I understand the down votes.

Well I mean... it's not very professional but not really something to not rehire over...

Coming from someone who lives with and around teachers, it is considered unprofessional to wear "street clothes" like tennis shoes, t-shirts, hoodies, etc to school. A teacher is also taken more seriously if they don't dress like they just rolled out of bed. YDI

snarkytruth 37

time to step up your game and dress more appropriately.

I know teachers that wear hoodies and sneakers to class.

TeachAllTheMath 19

OP here, two years later I am still working at the same school (in my beloved hoodies). The principal that told me this was not renewed for the following year, so luckily our head of school valued competent teachers over well dressed ones. I work at a charter school who encourages teachers to dress comfortably so we can go outside to play soccer, or get on the floor to do small groups, and I was in “dress code” according to the crew handbook, the principal was just a snob.

Tbh I wouldn't want my children taught by someone in a hoodie either. Surely there's some middle ground where you can play with the kids and still look respectable?

TeachAllTheMath 19

Would you be more comfortable with me in a professional blouse with my sleeves showing? I just don’t understand why a hoodie would make you “uncomfortable” when your children are kept safe, loved, and taught well by an experienced teacher. Especially in urban middle schools where good math teachers are harder to find.