By schoolsucks - 10/03/2015 14:45 - United States - Aurora

Today, the principal of the school I teach at told me she's not interested in re-hiring me because sometimes I wear a hoodie. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 541
You deserved it 6 297

TeachAllTheMath tells us more.

TeachAllTheMath 19

OP here, two years later I am still working at the same school (in my beloved hoodies). The principal that told me this was not renewed for the following year, so luckily our head of school valued competent teachers over well dressed ones. I work at a charter school who encourages teachers to dress comfortably so we can go outside to play soccer, or get on the floor to do small groups, and I was in “dress code” according to the crew handbook, the principal was just a snob.

Top comments

It's a shame that people like this are in charge of hiring those teaching others.

It depends on the context. If the OP works in a private school, then maybe they are preferred wearing uniforms. Sometimes some schools want more professional outfits. :/ I'm sorry for the job loss.

Comments

My science teacher wore pajamas to school yesterday

Some schools have a stricter dress code that others, even for teachers, at my high school teacher couldn't wear jeans except on pep rally days, the elementary school across the street had a more relaxed dress code though. So unless it's your local team on that hoodie and its game day I can't see some schools letting you get away with that.

Well probably shouldn't wear a hoodie then

Senrab 15

Honestly, I've never had a teacher that wore a hoodie. Teachers are supposed to dress up more

OP, you should've said," Oh, because im BLACK!?

80 - Why should the year invalidate professional appearance standards? Hoodies are workout and home wear, not suitable for an office. Would you wear sweatpants to work at a bank?

At my old school the councilor would come in sweats and a bob marly t-shirt. It's perfectly normal for teachers to wear hoodies.

Stop dressing like teenage criminal then.

Two out of the three principals at my school where hoodies.