By MotherNatureMustDie - 27/10/2009 12:32 - South Africa

Today, my telephone line was hit by lightning. I discovered that not only will lightning fry a router, it will also destroy any PCs connected to that router via network cables. I also discovered that a $10 phone line surge protector would have saved nearly $3,000 worth of PC equipment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 980
You deserved it 38 570

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You lucky you. Surge protector worth 10 bucks would probably set your house on fire.

HAH. YDI for not getting one though. This one was actually good. Also, I like the OPs name.

Comments

Ah, Mother Nature has learned a new skill. And she used it well.

Most of you guys realize that the $10 surge protectors aren't going to do shit during an electrical storm (if lightning hit like OP said, the surge protector would have shot most of that electricity into his equipment anyways). If you get a surge protector don't skimp and get one with a high Joule load (usually $80-$100). YDI for not having something in place. Hell lightning can blow your breaker panel apart so I don't think a $10 wal-mart special would do more than sizzle and smoke with a lightning strike.

ozymandias_fml 0

@ #13 for $10 you get a surge protector with a warranty and coverage guarantee *at a minimum* that covers items behind it. If you shop around for a few minutes, you can get one that has decent protection built it. Remember, Monster Cables is selling you a mark-up, not quality. For $80 you can get a UPS with enough power to clean shutdown after a power outage. For $100 you can get a middle-of-the-line UPS with enough oomph for a modern PC to run for 10-15 minutes before shutting down.

I had a $30 surge protector on mine, it didn't even need an electrical storm. We had a surge, the protector arc-ed, destroyed my laptop (that was charging) and desktop. The %100 warranty on the surge protector wouldn't cover anything since I had no "proof" that I was using the surge protector at the time (aside from the electrical burns all over the f*ing protector).

What kind of proof are you supposed to have? I suppose that's exactly how they make money by selling shitty surge protectors with warranties: the warranties are bunk.

syn2083 0

@ 13; Joule rating really doesn't mean anything either. Virtually everything in the universe has some kind of joule rating. Most companies drum up joule numbers by including things that have nothing at all to do with the surge protection system, such as the housing of the surge protector, etc. Most devices that rely on joule 'shock absorber' type protection systems are garbage anyway. You want stuff that has that but also takes advantage of your ground system, and actively detaches the outlets from the internals in the event of a major surge. Good companies use heat fuses to acomplish this and clamp down pretty fast. While most 10$ devices arent great, you can find some 'cheap' ones that are good. Just go for a good brand named company. (some are APC, TrippLite). For the others with rejected claims, that sucks. I know some companies that honor their equipment protection plans. APC for one, theirs are good and if the device you send back tests that it let voltage through, they give you monies. Proper research saves you from this fate! Get a decent surge protector, one that has ethernet protection (or coax, whatever) and secure your tech! seriously.

@#13: For $30 you can get a very good surge protector. For $100 you can get a low end ups..

She gave us all she had, but we went and took some more. Can't seem to shut her legs, our Mother Nature is a *****... Looks like you aren't getting your violence in ultra hi-def ultra-realism anymore...

Ooh, happened to me once. Fortunately everything that was connected directly were desktops, so it was easy to just pop out the old NICs and pop in new ones. In fact, OP, unless you had laptops connected, you can do the same for around $30 per computer. Even with a laptop, you can get an ethernet expansion card which will connect via PCMCIA or ExpressCard (unless you have a laptop without either of these slots, in which case you'll need a USB adapter).

syn2083 0

That could be possible, though most of the time the NIC is simply built in these days which would fry the area, and even if it wasnt it is possible that it went onto the pci bus and fried the lines. Friend of mine had this happen with a built in NIC and it friend basically everything in the computer except for the CPU and RAM, hit even the VC which sucked, but was covered in a lifetime warranty :)

You're an idiot, in case you didn't know. What if the OP's computers didn't have Wifi? Didn't think of that, huh? There's no reason for the OP to buy a Wifi card when Ethernet is built-in and works for their setup.

FYL. The blame lies on the technician who installed your service. Clearly your install was not grounded properly. Though, a $10 surge protector never hurt anyone..

My thoughts exactly. Either the line was not properly grounded by the original tech or the surge was large enough to jump any grounding or surge protector. Ethenet has isolation on both ends of the connection ( except for PoE ) and should be immune to power on the lines unless it's so high as to arc the isolator.

testing_fml 0

This isn't an entire YDI if I'm reading this right. If it it the telephone pole, and came via the cable outlet in the wall to the modem/router, then it would bypass the electrical outlet entirely. So unless you had a surge protector that you wire the cable in from the wall and then to your modem/router, that was the only way to stop it.

xx_irish_rose_xx 0

Weird. My router got fried this summer but all of our computers were fine, we just had to buy a new router. Surge protectors don't always work though, because my router was hooked up to one when it got fried, but they're still good to have.

This could very easily be an ad. I'm sure it's not and that it actually happened, but it does come off like a bit of a sales pitch.