By ak_6694 - 22/09/2012 07:29 - Australia - Lane Cove

Today, my roommate came out of the bathroom, and asked me how the scales knew her weight in both pounds and kilos, even though "the exchange rate is always changing." I actually live with this idiot. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 620
You deserved it 2 199

ak_6694 tells us more.

For anyone who is interested, she has taken it with good humour and is still laughing about it. It's one of those electronic scales, so I did briefly get her to believe that due to the GFC, the scales would say she was putting on more pounds than kilos before I came clean with the truth.

Top comments

Unfortunately for her, there is no exchange rate for her IQ, which probably resembles that of a kiwi. The fruit, not the bird. Not that it makes much of a difference...

Comments

Just explain to her how the economy is always changing and that the weight scale needs to be updated periodically.

Is she getting heavier? ... Nah mate oil just dropped a couple of cents a barrel.

KaskStunter 4

Well, it is time to tell her about the weight imp that lives inside the scale and takes matter of these trivial things.

OP's roommate reminds me of Jillian from Family Guy.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure what's worse between this FML or "I saw something on TV about a guy named Hitler. Somebody should stop him!"

slimjim8094 12

Precisely what I thought. "How do I know if I'm Jewish?" "Are you Jewish?" "No..." "There you go, sport"

Tell her the scale has a wireless internet connection and automatically updates daily. Just for fun.

21 I don't know why but when ever I see your profile pic it looks like a suit of armor.

TellMeWhatsDeath 14

41-oh my god..I thought I was the only one..

41, I thought the same thing. I just looked at closely for the first time today and I was like wtf. Lol

Actually, I can kind of understand why she would think it changes (money exchange rates change) but it is pretty bad that she didn't figure it out by looking at the scale.

... Yeah. Because that makes perfect sense. The Euro is dropping!! **** yeah! instant weightloss;)

meaganinja 12

Tell her they know from the cameras installed in the bathroom last month.

Come on you could have a lot of fun with her!

perdix 29

Just take a deep breath, and say the scale has a built-in Wi-Fi connection to the Weight Watchers Exchange to get the daily conversion rate. For normal people, 1 kilogram = 2.205 pounds. For engineers and other technical types, the kilogram is a unit of mass and the pound is a unit of force. 1 kilogram = 0.0685217659 slugs.

Iknowsomestuff 9

So I weigh a little over 6 slugs

perdix 29

#31, you have a mass of around 6 slugs, so on Earth you "weigh" around 192 pounds. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on a mass. In space, you'd have no weight, but you'd still have a mass of 6 slugs or about 87 kg of mass. For normal people who spend all their time on Earth, it's OK to be sloppy about mass and weight.

Iknowsomestuff 9

I actually learned something, thank you. Really seems like mass is a more reliable measure for me as I've been accused more than once of living in my own world.

#32, I'm unclear: Fig Newtons or Berry Newtons? It matters, really. ;)

Epikouros 31

Actually, you'll weigh a little less when you're near the equator, or on a high mountain. That's partly because you're further away from the center of the earth, and partly because of the earth's inertia, better known as centrifugal force. The difference is small, but measurable. If you'd manage to teleport yourself from Ecuador to the North Pole, you'd lose about 0.5% of your weight. In that case, I wouldn't recommend weighing yourself in the nude. Conclusion: the roommate would be technically right if she traveled around the world with her scales. Of course, people who say "They're watching me with cameras everywhere" are technically right, too, nowadays, and mental hospitals are full of them.

Epikouros 31

Correction: If you'd manage to teleport yourself from Ecuador to the North Pole, you'd GAIN about 0.5% of your weight. In other words, if you weigh 200 pounds in Ecuador, you'd weigh 201 pounds on the North Pole. On the South Pole, you don't weigh anything, of course, because it's on the bottom of the globe. Don't drink and do physics, kids. BTW, did you know that French nuclear engineers drink wine with lunch?