By Anonymous - 28/12/2012 04:31 - United States

Today, my girlfriend donated most of my book collection because she got me a Kindle for Christmas. Some were signed, including my Harry Potters. FML
I agree, your life sucks 63 090
You deserved it 4 474

Same thing different taste

Top comments

oj101 33

Muggles... What do you expect from them?

WHY do people think it's okay to get rid of things that do not belong to them without the owner's consent?!

Comments

oj101 33

Muggles... What do you expect from them?

californiapoppy 11

We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on. - Albus Dumbledore

shyeahh_fml 19

28 - I'm not exactly sure what you're tying to say, and I do agree that an individual of any age can enjoy Harry Potter, but I do believe you missed the Harry Potter reference in 1's comment, being about muggles. Your response was irrelevant to his comment.

emybear_fml 5

a muggle and a woman... just bad news

irishpassion16 6

Finding those books will be like finding the horcruxes, but it is DEFINITELY worth the journey!

I tossed my Kindle, books are muuuch better. I feel so bad for you...

decidedlyvague 11

That's like setting your albums and cds on fire because you now have iTunes.

Why?! Books like that are priceless. Go get them back if you can. :/

80skid 15

The girlfriend probably didn't realize they books were signed. Nevertheless, she shouldn't sell someone else's property.

jojimugo 20

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Again, I must know... /what/ is it about liking the Harry Potter series makes one childish? Please, elaborate on your stance.

rotflqtms_ 21

Omg!!! Nothing at all makes reading books childish! I'd be mad if I got SIGNED Harry Potter books & my boyfriend sold them. It's Harry Potter! Even with my unsigned ones, I would be upset if they were sold, because they're mine... Some books are just that good.

Also new hardbacks of HP aren't cheap, and anything signed by the creator makes them all the more valuable to the owner. That's why you don't touch someone else's shit, even if you think you're doing them a favor. Sorry OP, hope you can get them back ASAP.

The books were donated which makes it even worse in my opinion.

40, I'd be quite happy if a guy told me he had Harry Potter books. It wouldn't make him any less of a man in my eyes. I like people who read and I'm usually quite pleased with whatever gets a person reading. If they like Harry Potter, that's even better because I like it too.

you my friend are quite simple! go back to your wax crayons and try to stay in the lines.

40-lemme guess...you think reading is lame too? My husband and I bonded over Star Wars and even had light sabers as gifts at our wedding party.

I don't care what books they were, who would donate someones personal library without consulting them. OP's GF has some issues.

rofflewaffle 9

What the hell. Sounds like a bitch of a girlfriend. I'd be so pissed; I don't think I could stay with someone who did that to me. Doesn't she realize even if they were regular unsigned books, you'd have to buy them all again? She's obviously got no respect for you or your things.

Asking for something back after its been donated makes you look like Vol.....he who must not be named

#40 Are you stupid or something? Those books are worth money, especially since they're signed. If a girlfriend of mine ever tried to get rid of ANY of my books she'd find herself single instantly. Same goes for any girl who tries to get rid of my star wars collection or lego sets...

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
80skid 15

He can't get his books back with her "deep love".

There is absolutely no evidence of that here

astralvagan 20

Some things make me wonder.... Were they dropped on their heads as children?

WHY do people think it's okay to get rid of things that do not belong to them without the owner's consent?!

It's called lack of respect. People think they are entitled to do whatever they want. If I were in op's shoes I'd seriously consider breaking up with someone that stupid and disrespectful.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

#29 - Oh, definitely. If my boyfriend got rid of my books behind my back, I would blow up. Some of them have sentimental value, others are just too good to get rid of, some just look awesome on my bookshelf. And I do have an e-reader, but I only use it because carrying paper books while commuting makes them look all filthy and worn (and they're a lot heavier, too).

This is really one of those stories that leave you speechless... What kind of dumbfuck would go and give away property that isn't their own and whose value they know nothing about? To agree with 29, this is one of the rare cases where I think it's ok to consider a breakup for just one single deed... This is just one incredible lack of respect and also stupid as hell. I wouldn't want to reproduce with someone like this :/ Another thought: If he valued these books so much and had super rare ones like signed HPs I'm surprised his girlfriend didn't know about it, so either 1. they only started dating recently, which would make it even more unbelievable 2. she is dumb as **** not to know/ask about these things

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

You are wrong. Nothing can replace the books. I too have a huge book collection and I would be extremely mad if someone did that to me.

OhDearBetrayal 25

47- You would react better than me. If someone threw away my books, I would be more than just mad. I would be armed.

I love actual books with pages. They look nice and they smell nice. I love the way bookshops smell. Is that weird? I'm sorry. Plus, you can always tell how much someone loves a book by the way it looks. Even if the owner tries their best to keep it as neat as possible, you can always tell which is a well-read book.

Yup, I'm with the other bibliophiles. I imagine Kindles are a godsend if you're travelling (deciding which books to take can be a pain), provided you're staying somewhere that you can charge the thing, and it's probably a good idea for "pulp fiction" that you read once and never again...but they can't hold a kindle - sorry, candle - to a book. Doesn't have the same feel and doesn't have the same sentimental value. Plus, if you went to the trouble of writing a book, wouldn't you want to see your name on the spine of a book rather than on a computer screen? If I really like an author or a series, I want a physical copy of that book, just as the OP clearly did. And things are always more easily altered or censored when they only exist in digital form - book burning is the trademark of a dictatorship, but altering digital copies can be done much more quietly. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but with all the fuss about internet privacy, copyright and censorship recently...

jeragonm 15

I have a Kindle, and I love it, but I am far from having all of my print books bought on it. 53 and 122- right here with you guys, if some touches my books I flip out. If someone donated ( at least if they where sold I would get money) I would definitely be armed and might have a restraining order against them.

kaatieface 6

I disagree. I absolutely adore books and reading in general, yet I bought a kindle. It means I don't break my back carrying as many books as I need with me. And since the battery lasts an incredibly long time, it doesn't matter that it may need charged. People who get all high and mighty because of book supremacy need to think a bit. After all, surely as long as people are actually reading it's fine?! Isn't that what matters?!

Each to their own. The ebook certainly has its place, but some things do worry me - there are a lot people who honestly can't use a (book-form) index, dictionary or thesaurus, because they're so used to hitting a button and the computer does it for them. I think the other issue is power - the book doesn't threaten the Kindle, but the Kindle appears to be a threat to the book. In my particular area, libraries are getting funny looks from a government keen to make cuts, and Waterstones is the last big book shop left standing...and it's been selling Kindles since November (a lot of the business articles indicate that Amazon browbeat them into stocking them, but I don't know how true that is). And also, as I said, digital media is easy to alter or deny access to, along with the whole furore about what constitutes ownership these days.

I love my books. I cant stand reading on kindles and stuff like that. It makes my eyes hurt

Personally, what I do is use the e-reader to browse through/read books and if I really like it, I buy the book version for keepsake and to enjoy the actual feel of the books that I deem worthy.

This would be the only situation in which it's okay for you to use dark magic

I'm a big fan of the books and everything, but does anybody else find it funny that the most evil spell there is, is almost abra kadabra?

#49 You try taking on a couple of pokemon and see who wins the battle!

Avada Kedavra suggested etymology: During an audience interview at the Edinburgh Book Festival (15 April 2004) Rowling said: "Does anyone know where avada kedavra came from? It is an ancient spell in Aramaic, and it is the original of abracadabra, which means 'let the thing be destroyed.' Originally, it was used to cure illness and the 'thing' was the illness, but I decided to make it the 'thing' as in the person standing in front of me. I take a lot of liberties with things like that. I twist them round and make them mine."[5] Rowling's use of this name may have been influenced by Latin cadaver = "corpse" -Wikipedia

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Wait... what? She doesn't know him well... Your logic confounds me...

To me, it seems rather obvious that she doesn't know him well at all.

#57: if she is so comfortable with him to throw his stuff away then obviously they must know eachother well. Soo you'd think she'd know what kindof things are valuable to him..get it now?

But 175, she didn't obviously know that those books were valuable to him, hence this being on FML. If you read the story, you might notice that he wasn't cool with her throwing them away... She may be comfortable enough, but clearly she's TOO comfortable.

awesomeman10 6

I dont think she realises how much those can be worth.

I don't know...even if they weren't signed, it's still pretty douchey to throw away something that doesn't belong to you without the owner's permission.