By Haitwun - 08/12/2014 02:18 - United States - El Monte

Today, my girlfriend decided to treat me out to dinner and cake for my birthday. My mom felt left out and yelled at my girlfriend in an angry tirade. My girlfriend went home. I'm spending my birthday, alone in my room. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 257
You deserved it 2 927

Same thing different taste

Top comments

cmchappy 25

Sorry op but your moms a bitch

You should've still went out with her. You're enabling your mother.

Comments

Hey man, hope next year goes better for you. Happy birthday btw.

Maybe a couple days later? It doesn't have to be on your birthday it's about the same

happy birthday op :) todays my moms birthday aswell

poorjudgement 26

My opinion on what should OP do and WHO was irrational would depend on how old OP is. The younger he is the more the scale goes to his mother's favoure. However, withouth such info, I'll presume, from the wording "my room", that OP lives with his mother/parents and in such case it was awfully presumptious and impoliet from his GF to make B-day plans without his family. Yes, she is important, and yes, his mother could have reacted differently, BUT they BOTH have been EQUALLY selfish and unreasonable. Last few decades we tend to side with significat others and make point that no one should be tied to mother/parents/family. But, we are forgeting that significant others could make family one day and those who don't respect family (except with very good reasons) will never respect relationships on any level.

countryb_cth 38

Just because its said "my room" doesn't mean he lives with his mom. He could have gone home and is now in "his room". Either way his mom was way in the wrong. She was completely irrational and should have never yelled at the girlfriend, no matter what the age. Clearly he had no plans with his mom, so his girlfriend took him out. The mom should chill out and realize she can celebrate his birthday on another day or make plans first.

meli1195 31

#19's comment goes perfectly with their username, poor judgement

Yeah, how DARE his girlfriend try to do something nice for him on his birthday! Seriously? Family doesn't need to be included in everything. Their relationship is separate from the rest of their families, especially OP's mother, who can't seem to let go of her son and let him have his own life. It's damaging to their relationship to feel pressured to include the family in everything they do, and I know this from firsthand experience. Also, family can be cut off if they are not willing to accept the girlfriend, in the event that they do get married, so that really isn't a problem. So no, the girlfriend was not rude. She was very sweet, actually. The mother, on the other hand, was WAY out of line and clearly has no respect for her son, his girlfriend, and their relationship. I don't care if they're 16 or 35 -there's no way I can look at this and see the mother as being justified in her actions at all. Maybe you could enlighten me?

Happy birthday OP. try to talk to both of them, things might workout.

Bit of an overreaction by your mum. What a lovely thought by your girlfriend though (: P.S. Happy Birthday, Op.

God help you when you move out, get married and have kids. She will make it hell. Put your foot down as soon as possible with her, my husband does with his mum now but I was in a fierce argument with my mil when I went into labour early. Stress causing bitches.

CaitiieBuggs 23

Seriously! My mother in law threw a tantrum when my husband took me out for a romantic dinner at a seafood restaurant for my birthday. She was angry because she wasn't invited, and said we disrespected her because she hates seafood. Like, what!?

sorry darlin but it sounds like your mom needs to cut the umbilical cord