By inthefamily - 23/10/2012 13:29 - United States - Washington

Today, my fiancé's stepfather asked me how my teaching job was going. I replied heatedly that I've never taught, and then complained bitterly to my fiancé about how his family still doesn't know me. Turns out his stepfather has early onset dementia, and that I'm an asshole. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 544
You deserved it 36 294

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like someone never even taught you to be polite

twinny_sc 13

Seems like you don't know much about his family either so what are you so pissed about?

Comments

Sonotsuave 35

Yes you ARE. Seriously? Calm your **** woman

Bludmagnus 13

For all of those "Your the a-hole for talking like that" to the step-father.. it is the family's responsibility to INFORM OTHERS that the man had dementia. My grandmother had it, and yes, it is THEIR FAULT for not telling someone who is about to become a part of their family.

iAmPaul 49

This story needs more context (i.e. how long they've been engaged, etc.) in order to be properly judged.

I've been with my husband for 6 years and his parents regularly forget things about him and me. I share a birthday with my brother in law. My mother in law called me last year on my birthday to tell me she forgot it was my birthday because she was so focused on it being her son's birthday, that she was having him over for dinner, didn't have enough food to invite me and my husband, and that she wouldn't go get more food. My husband got so mad at her for that. He couldn't believe his mom told me all of that. Without more information, none of us know if her reaction was over-reacting or not.

I am gonna say FYL on this one. Look plain and simple Dementia is the unusual not the usual. The expectation is that the person is fully functioning. Unless you want to start offending people you don't go around assuming that the person said something that seems off to be suffering from something like dementia. It is your fiance's job to warn you of his stepfather's condition.

Sounds like you don't know them that we'll.