By charma - 11/07/2009 13:14 - United States

Today, my daughter was telling everyone at her elementry school about my gay partner. Yes, I have a gay partner. He is my work partner and he happens to be gay. FML
I agree, your life sucks 59 162
You deserved it 5 142

Same thing different taste

Top comments

dude stop bitchin about "ohh you shouldnt have told her hes gay blah blah blah" he is infact gay. why would he lie about that to his kid? plus she probably met him or sumshiz so yeah. y'all are stupid lol. :P

I find it interesting that you are comparing gay people to Hitler and you think they are bad, meaning you must think Hitler was bad. Well I hate to inform you but thinking people are evil and should die because of one thing about them like religion or sexual orientation makes you just the same as Hitler. It makes you a very narrow minded individual who lacks the intelligence to be able to see people for who they really are and not for something they feel or believe in.

Comments

FML_FYL_YDI 0

#10, I can't tell if you're trying to be funny or not. I'm hoping you are.

YDI for talking about the sexual preferences of your coworkers at home. And to define them by that. I mean, gay people do not always want to define themselves as "gay", like it's the only thing that is important about their personnalities. Like saying everything is about you being irish, or you being black.

So if the kid saw his coworker holding hands with another man, the father should just lie? Yeah, I don't think so. Explaining that the coworker likes other men and is gay is not a bad thing to tell the kid.

So you'd rather him talk about the sexual preferences of his coworker in public for all to hear? Didn't know we had to censor ourselves in our own homes now. Also the OP didn't define his coworker as 'only' being gay. He merely stated a fact of his coworker's person that could have very well been brought up in conversation with the OP's wife/friend/ or relative. The daughter more than likely just overheard them talking. This is why children should be shooed away when grown folks are talking, or at the very least be taught that grown folks businesses is not to be repeated by a child.

Is it really tasteful to be talking about someone's sexual preferences though? It doesn't concern you, so why discuss it? The only place it should matter is between that person and his or her partner. Even if the OP was to be talking with another adult about him, in their own home it's still not appropriate. Especially when there are children. And yes, you probably SHOULD censor what you say in your home. If you know your daughter overheard, then you probably should correct her. Why is that so hard?

If that person doesn't want there sexual preferences, or any part of their private life to spoke of then they shouldn't make it obvious to other people. This of course is barring extremely nosey people who fancy themselves PI's. People can and will talk about whatever they wish to, especially in their own home. Granted some places arn't appropriate for certain topics, but your home is fair game for anything. If you can't speak freely in your own home, then where can you? Sounds like a recipe for everyone becoming mindless sheeple to me.

They don't have to make it obvious for other people to know that they're gay though. And also, yes you can talk in your own home, but just because you can does it mean you have to discuss that in particular? Especially if it's none of your business? Doesn't mean you're sheep, it just means you're being respectful. And since his child overheard it, and she was mistaken, it could lead to other things which could be prevented. It's almost the same with swearing. Yes, you have a right, but should you?

Of course it doesn't have to be obvious for people to know, but this is why I barred the case of extremely nosey people. The average person only notices the obvious. The sheep comment was in response to your other post implying that people should be censored in their own homes. Basically forcing them to not have an opinion. The question of should a person do something is purely based off of varying views of morality. Neither of which are completely wrong or right. I do realize that certain things are just universally wrong but this does not apply in this situation. Basically, I'm saying that argument is a slippery slope. The defense of its none of his business is valid, and I agree with it, but that won't stop him from talking about it. It's really more so up to the person who represents the topic of the conversation to just not care about what other people think. It's never a bad decision to attempt to correct someone with a misconception by presenting them with the facts, but if they choose to remain ignorant then so be it. If its the truth however, then you really can't do anything about it.

boatkicker 4

What if it was the partner who told the kid? Kids meet thier paretns co-workers all the time, and so long as this guy's comfortable about being gay, it shouldnt be a big deal. Besides, even if it was the father who told the kid, it's better to tell the kid than avoid it. If kids are taught eaerly on about stuff like that it lesses prejudice. "This is my work partner. He's gay, than means he likes other men. Now get to know this guy, and see that there's nothing wrong with gay people." If they avoided it and the child found out later the child might be offended for being lied to or think that the reason it was a secret was because its bad. It's far better to be upfront.

I can agree with that to an extent. Just as long as the kid was at least 10; I feel 10 is old enough for a kid to understand that sort of concept. Its fine if the OP allowed the partner to tell the kid he was gay, I would to provided that he wasn't flaming. Gay is one thing, being a man and acting like a woman is another. Same goes for the opposite scenario.

My friend has a sister who is 7, and she knows way more about gay people and other similar topics that I had no clue about when I was 7. I think it depends on the child, because some kids, even at 10, aren't mature enough to handle concepts such as sexuality. I think if parents are open with their children, but also tell them that what's said in the house stays in the house, then kids can understand more of the world around them. I'm glad the OP told his daughter about his co-worker. The younger she knows about that kind of stuff, the less likely she will be in the future to look down upon gay and lesbian couples.

Olympian94 0

Lol, that was A LOTTA wording for such a lame conversation.

dude stop bitchin about "ohh you shouldnt have told her hes gay blah blah blah" he is infact gay. why would he lie about that to his kid? plus she probably met him or sumshiz so yeah. y'all are stupid lol. :P

Christ, so ******* what? OMG people might think ur ghey!!!1!

bbobe900000 0

#15 look at my comment (#108, replied to the top) it explains how it could POSSIBLY be a FML, but probably isn't

SiCMgt4SlipKnoT 0

I agree with 4ube even though i'm completly heterosexual I agree you wouldn't define your coworker as your straight partner if he was straight.

That probably wouldn't narrow it down very much anyway, unless most of his coworkers were gay.

Blackdemon 0

Lol, YDI, don't tell your kids stuff! o, and **** YOU #17 :)

hehe aww. I think this would only constitute a FML if her teacher was hot and you were single. haha.

stlcards220 4

Hey, all u people who say that he shudnt tell his kid about his coworkers- how do u no he wuznt talking to his wife and his kid over heard him? tho he still shuldnt tell people about his coworkers' private life