This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By MarriedSingleGuy - 16/10/2017 19:16

Today, it's been a year since my wife and I moved to our new house, and 3 months since she ordered a new king-sized bed. I still don't know what the bed feels like, but I have an awesome relationship with the couch. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 999
You deserved it 865

Ghost563412 tells us more.

Ghost563412 3

OP here. To address some confusion: I don't sleep in the same bed (or room, for that matter) because I apparently snore like a rusty chainsaw. We moved into our new place a year ago with an old beat up bed, she ordered a new bed while I was out of state working 4 months ago now. To further clarify, I've napped in the bed once, and we do use it for purposes other than sleeping. However, she has to sleep in an ice cold room, and I can't have cold temperatures because I have an ear that is very sensitive to cold. So, no, there has been no cheating on either behalf, and we have spoken about this... we agreed that this arrangement is for the better especially because I am also a very active sleeper. I've been known to punch people when sleeping. I also made this FML when I was going through a depressive episode.

Top comments

Lobby_Bee 17

What I really want to know is how bad you ****** up three months ago. It's weird, bad enough to be kicked out of bed for three months, but not bad enough to be in the same house. This fine line is near impossible to be on.

tarabella 7

uuhhh.....why? this needs so much more explanation, it makes no sense

Comments

thats pretty ****** up. Time to talk it out and maybe some counseling.

If you want to sleep in the bed then do it. make her sleep on the couch. grow a pair.

I don't get it. Did she kick you out of the bed? Or is the bed still not there? What does you living there 12 months got to do with it? After 9 months she ordered it and 3 months later, still not there maybe? Or after 9 months you're already on the couch? Confusing

I would be sleeping in the bed, ain't no woman gonna kick me out of bed

ExplainingTheOtherside 8
Ghost563412 3

OP here. To address some confusion: I don't sleep in the same bed (or room, for that matter) because I apparently snore like a rusty chainsaw. We moved into our new place a year ago with an old beat up bed, she ordered a new bed while I was out of state working 4 months ago now. To further clarify, I've napped in the bed once, and we do use it for purposes other than sleeping. However, she has to sleep in an ice cold room, and I can't have cold temperatures because I have an ear that is very sensitive to cold. So, no, there has been no cheating on either behalf, and we have spoken about this... we agreed that this arrangement is for the better especially because I am also a very active sleeper. I've been known to punch people when sleeping. I also made this FML when I was going through a depressive episode.

I mean... That's still a road to divorce. No true intimacy if you don't literally sleep together, but hey, to each their own, I guess.

There are ways to compromise. Snoring can be helped (and should be looked into for your own health as well as your relationship) by various means such as CPAP machines, nose strips, etc. You would not getting quality sleep even if you were sleeping in the bed. You could put ear plugs in to resolve the cold sensitivity. If these things either do not work or you are unwilling to try, at least get another bed or a pull out couch. Sleeping on a couch every night can really affect you back and neck.

Vesi 29

No actually it isn't. My husband and I have slept in separate rooms for about 5 years now. I actually get restful sleep (so does he) and our marriage is just as strong, if not stronger than ever. Sleeping with someone actually can be detrimental if one or both partners do not get the rest they need. Little things start to become big things. It works for quite a few couples.

Vesi 29

As for you OP.. good on you both for finding a compromise that works, however, I do agree with others who mention either another bed or pull-out at the very least. If you have your own bedroom, that is excellent, too. As for the snoring, please go have a sleep study done. They have drastically improved CPAP machines and your quality of sleep can greatly improve.

My parents never slept in the same bed, as my dad worked out of state. It was only once he got a job close by and was actually living with us again that my parents ended up getting a divorce. It was the lack of them sleeping in the same bed that kept the marriage together as long as it did.

Sleeping in separate beds is a lot more common than people think. I've been sleeping on the couch for over a year now for pretty much the same reasons you and your wife sleep apart, and it was the best decision we've ever made. Our intimacy hasn't suffered and in fact we're more intimate in every other way, because there is no stress of trying to get to sleep in spite of each others different sleep needs.

Suaria 38

My parents have been married for almost 25 years. Around the time my sister was born, which was 10 1/2 years ago, they started sleeping in separate rooms. My dad has insomnia and any little noise wakes him up. So it was better for the both of them to have separate rooms especially when you have a newborn who wakes up throughout the night.

My just be me but there are blow up mattresses and additional beds you could purchase that are way more comfortable than the sofa...

Me and my boyfriend have been sleeping seperately because i snore a lot too. He sleeps in the main bedroom and i sleep in the spare bedroom, which works a lot because he works till 2am when im asleep and i wake up early for work when hes asleep. just makes sense so neither of us is woken up by the other.

kk_4u 8

good for you to explain.. I sleep in the bed with my husband ... but I work first he works until his done. so sometimes it really late when he comes in. we don't touch really at night nor sleep under the same covers because I roll up in them. so yeah, I completely understand. i have woken up many times to him passed out in the loft or in the din.. where he falls alot of times is where he sleeps we have a werid yet sometimes great relationship.. going on ten years know. sometimes people from the outside looking in do not understand but we have made it work this long... why change. it's all about love understanding and respect..

Okay, this needs a follow-up. I'm resisting the urge to presume OP is a spineless bitch cuckold or some such, but it's a fine thing. On a side note, who the **** would ever even accept this? I would literally end any relationship, married or not, if a woman thought she could order me to not sleep in the ******* bed. I'm not your goddamned dog, **** right off.

sherbear86 21

Stay strong op, many marriages require separate sleeping arrangements. Make yourself feel better by ordering a bed for you! I’m assuming you have more than 1 bedroom. Also look into the snoring, could be a medical condition.

If sleeping in separate beds works better for the two of you, then great.... but why would you sleep on the couch instead of setting up a separate bedroom with an actual bed for yourself? (Assuming, of course, that there is an extra room that could serve as a bedroom.)

If it really that bad why haven't you talked with your dr about it. Also I believe there are some cheep remedies out there.