By Anonymous - 21/04/2013 05:07 - United States

Today, in my rush to do my hair and get to work, I managed to trip over my dog, hit my eye on the counter, and sprain my ankle. I arrived at work with a black eye and a painful limp. My boss didn't care, and fired me for showing up late. FML
I agree, your life sucks 57 676
You deserved it 7 354

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

If you were in a rush, you were already running late anyway. So, I'd say your boss was in the right.

rg350dx 29

Go into his office and beat the living shit out of yourself. Yell for him to stop beating you up. Throw yourself through his furniture and put yourself in a compromising position and prepare some tears for when security walks in.

shan88 14

I don't understand why people are down voting your comment after other fight club situations are getting up voted. For shame!!! Just goes to show most people only know 2-3 lines from the movie and they're all about number one, which no one should know anyway because... The first rule of fight club is...

rg350dx 29

They think its legit advice. Totally not a scene from a movie...

meherm 11

What a dick! Unless you've been late countless of times before then in that case he is right for doing so.

Is it really possible to fire someone that easily in the US? The amount of FMLs I see of people getting fired over the most trivial things is shocking. Don't you have disciplinary measures and warnings before that?

NereidAlbel 14

Depends on whether you live in a "right to work" state or not. Of course, those are better known as "right to fire anybody for any reason" states, but...yeah, if you live in one, they don't even have to give you a reason for firing.

Most states have at-will employment. They dont have to have a reason or cause. They can just say "We really dont need you." and thats that. However, if they dont have cause then they have to pay unemployment.

Well most places do, so the OP should definitely go talk to someone higher up in the company because being late once is no good cause for firing. If they determine the boss was being a dick he could be in trouble with them. But yes in general places don't need a really good reason for firing you. Usually though if you feel your boss was being unfair though you can at least talk to someone above him. It doesn't always work, but it's obviously worth trying.

perdix 29

#20, not really. Only people who belong to unions have any meaningful protection from instant, baseless termination, and even states that once had strong unions have been taken over by Republicans and have become "right to work" states. It's an Orwellian term that means the exact opposite.

So glad I live in Canada, or at least the part of Canada I do live in. Here you get a probationary period for a certain amount of months, durring which you can just be "let go" but afterwards there's all kinds of warnings and write ups before you can be fired.

There is also the other option. The fact that 9 out of 10 times people post FML's about getting fired on here, forgot to mention the other so-many times they screwed up at work. For this one for example, is it the first time?

perdix 29

The real reason he fired you is for being a klutz. You could just as easily have one of your famous multiple-injury slip-and-falls in his workplace, and then sue the pants off him!

YDI for not getting ready in time, the fact that you hit your face on the counter only resulted from you rushing because you were already late and doesn't deserve sympathy from the boss.

#33 Lucky you for NEVER EVER having being late in your life. How does that feel to walk on water?

implastikz 7

you probably woke up late and in the state of hurry! oh wells

Op never said anything about Ning late already, just said they were rushing