By anon - 03/08/2016 03:28

Today, I was working at the hospital and it was very busy. Unthinking, I told a patient in a wheelchair to "sit tight" while I checked on something. He mocked me for the rest of his stay. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 158
You deserved it 2 543

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your patient has a good sense of humour.

So you told somebody to sit tight who was sitting in a chair with wheels on either side that he could use to move around? That… actually sounds more appropriate than telling somebody in a standard chair to sit tight. It's not exactly like they're going to hold onto the bottom of the chair and hop around in it.

Comments

In my experience, expressions like that usually aren't off the table when they don't literally apply. For example, if I were speaking to a Deaf friend using sign language, or typing to someone over the internet I'd still say "speaking" as I did and I still would call them a "good listener" if they were attentive to my problems even though none of us actually spoke with our voice or listened with our ears.

It was just a slip up, op. I wish people weren't such assholes about mistakes like this

So, lets recap. You were insensitive and the patient was not offended but instead gave you good natured ribbing. Your life must be so hard.

I get that sort of thing all the time when I'm in my chair - the usual one is when I ha a an appointment at the doctors, and the receptionist automatically says to me to take a seat, and then realises. I usually say something like "I'll take this one into the waiting room, shall I?"