By insightful - 20/03/2012 04:33 - Australia

Today, I was warning a girl in my art class to be careful with a Stanley knife, as she had managed to cut her finger quite badly. Just as I said it, I sliced my finger open with a Stanley knife. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 231
You deserved it 11 041

Same thing different taste

Top comments

audiophileMom 11

Well, warning her after the fact was redundant to begin with. You still don't deserve it - nobody does. Ouch!!

^This is what we call a brandnomer (a genericized trademark)This happens when a brand name product becomes a colloquialism and is synonymous with a type of product. Some common brandnomers are Kleenex (facial tissue), Popsicle (ice pops), Band-aid (adhesive bandage), Jell-o (gelatin desserts), Bubble Wrap (inflated cushioning), Clorox (Bleach), Photoshop (photo manipulation), Rollerblade (inline skates) U-Haul (box truck), Crock-Pot (slow cooker), AstroTurf (artificial turf), etc. *rainbow appears* - The more you know...

Comments

audiophileMom 11

Well, warning her after the fact was redundant to begin with. You still don't deserve it - nobody does. Ouch!!

Well the girl had already cut herself, so it was a reminder to be extra safe

This sounds like an ad for Stanley.... Was the company really important?

peachesncreem 21

It's just what we call them in Australia, even if they're of another brand.

^This is what we call a brandnomer (a genericized trademark)This happens when a brand name product becomes a colloquialism and is synonymous with a type of product. Some common brandnomers are Kleenex (facial tissue), Popsicle (ice pops), Band-aid (adhesive bandage), Jell-o (gelatin desserts), Bubble Wrap (inflated cushioning), Clorox (Bleach), Photoshop (photo manipulation), Rollerblade (inline skates) U-Haul (box truck), Crock-Pot (slow cooker), AstroTurf (artificial turf), etc. *rainbow appears* - The more you know...

I have Stanley blades in my Kobalt knife! ;O

22 - you totally forgot all about the phrase "Kodak Moment" to describe something that's picture perfect!

#22 Also the phrase 'to Hoover the floor' meaning to vacuum it regardless of whether your using a Hoover or not.

SandI was obviously listing just a few examples. My dissertation was long enoug as is. There are thousands of these, but I do not possess the time to type all of them... Nor do I care, really.

Disregard the "sand" in the first part of my comment, lol.

Stanley? I prefer Martha Stewart, cause there plagiarized and when it comes down to it there blunt.

kinda a fml and YDI. YDI, because you weren't watching what your doing (im presuming), but other then that, fml

Well it's an art class.. Now you have extra red paint! :)

I'm not really into art so much, can someone explain what a Stanley knife is ? :)

Stanley knives to an Aussie is what an Xacto knife is to an American... Hoping this helps some in understanding.

Ah, I know what your talking about now. Ty

RahmEsHestos 5

You shouldn't be using the Stanley knife while talking to someone... YDI

Stanley knives are really easy to get injured with, especially if you're not paying attention (or getting distracted with the art project). FYL OP, watch out for those things instead of telling others to.

Always better to teach with demonstrations though

katiedoll6 7

True but I like the painless ones

The dangers of art lol. Sorry you cut yourself OP!

Well, I think I'm going to go out and buy a Stanley knife now...

You still posted a comment though... On the bright side, your dog is wearing a wig.

apparently Stanley makes troll knives

Curse you FML!!! (the above^ comment was made for # 19