By ChinaWillOwnUs - 27/08/2018 15:00

Today, I was warned that I was failing too many students and it had to stop, so I showed my boss all of the easy assignments a lot of students didn't even turn in. She told me to stop using so many "big words" in them. I teach at a four year University. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 782
You deserved it 227

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Is it the students failing or are you failing the students by not being able to teach the material.

sparx1_1 12

This is the "no man left behind"education system at work. American education is about lowering the bar until everyone's a winner.

Comments

Zekfen 17

I taught a programming class at a small community college. I taught just the one class to see if I liked it. I had 4 students. 3 of the students were great. My 4th student showed up to 2 classes out of 14. At the end of the semester, I tallied up the email and he had 8 grandmothers die and had to replace 4 tires on his car three times and one grandfather die. A few days after I turned in my grades of 3 A’s and 1 F, the kid contested his grade saying he had a valid excuse for missing classes. I forward the attendance logs, my assignment grade book, and all his emails to the person who handled the contesting of grades. They let the F stand but told me I should have been more lenient on him considering the number of deaths he had to deal with that semester. Needless to say I didn’t teach again.

Yeah take it easy on them collage is for binge drinking and half assing it so you can actually make enough to live on

No school wants a high failure rate do like evrey other teacher and **** the assignments make them only pass exams and not show up Bc half the time because most won’t you gotta Learn. What’s expected of you evrey school has a different bar you’re personal bar for what I’d axcepted is too high for that school lower your expectations

Woah. 2

Merica, lol our education system sucks. it's people like you are the only ones who can fix it😂

timeoffire45 8

I teach anatomy and physiology to pre-nursing students and it's a freaking chore. No matter what I or any of the other professors do, no matter how we try to incorporate new teaching methodologies or find new tools to aid in students' studying abilities and (hopefully) comprehension, we still end up with about 50% or more of the class not passing (including those who drop because they're failing early on). So many of those that fail are only there because they got told "nurses make good money" and they have no actual interest in helping people or learning the material. And honestly, when they don't even try (many just don't come to lecture or lab at all and then fail their exams and lab practicals) I don't feel too bad about failing them. (I still feel a little bad because part of me of course always says that I should've just tried harder to reach them...but at a certain point you're going literally 99% of the way and they're giving you 0% so you can't quite make it.)

fde2blknimout 18

How did you show your boss what you say doesn’t exist