By StillFriendless - 25/11/2016 15:20

Today, I was so desperate for a friend that I posted a Craigslist ad to find one. Now my phone's filled with spam and I still don't have any friends. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 660
You deserved it 2 810

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I swear if there isn't already there should be an app for people that are looking just for friends not for dates. You'd still put interests and things like that in your profile but just look for friends! If only I knew how to create apps..

Making friends when you don't have any can be difficult OP. I've had to go through that when I moved to another country where I didn't know anyone who lived even remotely close to the city I moved to. I don't know you so I have no idea what would work for you, but personally I found it helpful to just go out and do stuff I enjoyed anyway, rather than waiting around for friends to magically appear. I took up dance classes, went to concerts of bands I liked, and visited interesting sights in the place I moved to. It might seem weird and a bit sad at first to do stuff like that on your own, but I also found it empowering to realize that I didn't actually need other people to engage in activities that I wanted to do. Worst case scenario you just keep on doing these things alone, which frankly is better than sitting at home alone doing nothing, best case scenario (what happened to me) you meet people that are into the same things as you and you end up being friends with them. Also, if you're at least somewhat religious, finding a church/synagogue/temple/whatever fits your beliefs can be a good way to meet people, but I wouldn't recommend going just to meet friends if you're not actually attracted to the religion they're preaching. If you prefer meeting people online, it's a good idea to check out local facebook or meetup groups about stuff that interests you. Good luck!!

Comments

To the people saying "message me, I'll be your friend": while I sincerely believe your intentions are good, I don't think that's how actual friendship works. You usually don't develop a true friendship based on either one party feeling sorry for the other and wanting to help them, or both parties being lonely and needing someone (anyone!) to be friends with. Lasting friendship tends to be based on common interests, shared values, and stuff like that. Living relatively close to each other and having opportunities to do things IRL probably wouldn't hurt either. While sometimes it can be nice to just have someone to message with, I don't think the chances are that big that some random FML reader that you don't know anything about will turn out to be a person you'll actually become friends with.

But it does give OP someone to talk to and someone to encourage her along the way :-)

Friends can happen in any situation. I met my husband in a chat room 16 years ago... he lived 900 miles away in another country.

While I agree with you in theory, how do you know if someone has common interests if you don't talk to people? Also, as for not being able to make real friends online, I have several friends who I've only ever talked to online, a few more who I met online and have met in person. My husband and I met through World of Warcraft and ended up meeting in person when I moved near him, and my best friend is currently in a very serious relationship with a man in Britain who has flown out to the US several times to see her and meet her family and friends. Distance has nothing to do with human connection.

We, the FML community, should make an app and call it The Friend Zone.

khadishja 12

don't worry, i can be your friend :)

Not to be a bummer but doing that is dangerous! My girlfriend tried to do that because she wanted more friends because I was her only one Some guy she started chatting with eventually asked her for her address and asked if he could come over and hang out with her, she talking about it and she didn't feel comfortable so she asked me what I thought and I was kind of wary because he said he didn't want to come over if I was there, which threw up red flags right away, all he wanted do is rape her, she found out because a couple nights later on the news he was a wanted person for raping and girl of a similar age and stature her as my girlfriend

monyluv1 13

#19- holy sweet jeezus!!! That is awful!!! Craigslist is not safe to look for friends. Wasn't there a Craigslist killer a few years ago? OMG, I have goosebumps.

You are welcome to email me, online friends can be just as good! [email protected] :)

Check out Maximum Fun dot org, find a podcast that sounds interesting, start listening, and become friends on FB with the hundreds of fans of the various podcasts they make. I listen to nearly ten and the people in the groups are nice and generous and kind. I talk to them regularly and even meet up with local fans occasionally.

blink831forever 13

If you live in Washington state I will be your friend OP.

Unless you are the kind of person who likes going to bars, don't go to a bar to make friends.