By Stuck - 15/07/2009 04:01 - United States

Today, I was going to break up with my boyfriend after we went out for dinner. To my surprise, our families were also in the restaurant, to witness him propose to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 59 822
You deserved it 14 376

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Aw. I feel bad for him. I really don't know how two people in a relationship can be on such different pages. Couldn't you at least have hinted about breaking up?

rayrayy_fml 0

That's awkward. :/ Did you reject him? & #3, maybe they were on the same page. Maybe they both felt it was time for a change. She felt the solution was something new, and he felt it was taking the relationship to the next level, who knows.

Comments

Nice to know she wanted to do this after a dinner, which I'm going to assume he would have paid for.

GelatinFemur 0

Pretty much what I was going to say, #12. Why the hell would you break up with someone AFTER a dinner? You have to spend more time with them. I can't think of many reasons why she'd prolong it unless it was a free meal.

elara15 0

Maybe it would be easier to break up with him after spending some time together face-to-face, to lessen the blow. It really says a lot about society that all of you just assume the man would pay for the both of them.

Marakara 0

YDI for trying to get another meal before dumping him.

Totally agree, lykoong. That's sadly the first thing that came to my mind. Why do it AFTER going out for dinner? As a woman, I feel bad for implying that there's little chance the OP intended to pay for the dinner, but that is in fact what I'm implying. I'm sure there are plenty of heterosexual relationships in which both partners pay about an equal amount of the time, but I believe it's far more common that the male does. OP, how could you both have been on such separate and opposite pages? Did you give ANY indication that you were dissatisfied with the relationship and give yourselves a chance to fix it? Did he ignore all those indications anyway? For him to have proposed and invited both families to the occasion, I'm thinking he must really have loved you and thought things were going as well as they could be going. This is both a FYL and YDI. I hope you figure this out and let him down gently. =/

cucumberfabulous 7

Maybe she wanted to do it during dinner because she wanted to talk about how their relationship was never going to work out?..

tylenol123 0

#51 probably for courtesy. ide rather a girk to have guts and break up like that than send me a break up text,,, wouldnt you?

wikifoo 0

poor guy I thought it was interesting that you would hit him up for the meal first , then dump him.

allthewrongkeys 0

Agreed#4 also i call bs ......i honestly doubt this happened to the op......too many coincidences (spelling bee loser 1998)

redblueviolet 0

Yes, and coincidences never, ever, EVER happen. OP - You still have to dump him, you know. But that must be a really awkward position to be in.

slfcontent4 0

What did you say? but really though YDI for being a bitch and trying to wait until after dinner.... what was wrong with the relationship that should have been talkied about a while ago if he was already proposing?

Awww tht would soo suck! U have my sympathy! I hope u sucked up the courage to say no though and didn't say yes out of pity. I also hope u paid for the meal also. FYI u should break up with a guy at home or something and not embarress him by breaking up wit him in public. FYL thou

Going to scrounge one last dinner out of the poor guy before you dumped him? Hey, look at it this way, marry him and you've got a meal ticket for the duration!

I don't get why many of the commenters have so much sympathy for the OP. She wanted to have dinner with him first and then break up after? Why the **** would you do that?! It's not as bad as breaking up after sex, but still. OP, you deserved it for breaking up with him in a restaurant, after dinner. Although I must admit that it's kind of weird that he's proposing when obviously your relationship isn't going well. It's strange that he didn't notice. I mean, I would only propose if I was fairly sure the person would say yes.

CandiApple 0

Well a lot of the time, men are completely oblivious to the relationship failing. If they're all in, they assume the woman is, too.

DYI. If you broke up with him in public your a bitch.